1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i can t get my ATI RADEON 8500 to work properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matias, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matias

matias Thread Starter

hey.

i bought a ATI RADEON 8500 64DDR, and i cant get it to work right. im getting terrible images in all of my games. the image kind of brakes horizontaly when ever i move, or it s really slow, the same thing happens when i watch movies,and it even hangs some times when i play games like gta3 or medal of honor. the image only gets good when i run 3dmark . im getting even worse results than my geforce2 400mx.

at the beging i thought it was a probleme with mi card,so i sent it back to the distributor, but there they told me that the card was working properly. they even tried my computer with a new card but with the same results.

so then i tried to install the latest drivers i could find, i tried the ati drivers and the omega but nothing happend.
    i also tried to instal my card in my sisters computer but ended with the same results.

we both have the same motherboard, a ECS K7S5A.
    do you know were i could get the latest bios for my mobo, and how to install them?
    do you think thats the problem with my card, the mobo?
    i have a AMD ATHLON XP1600+ , 384 of sdram,and a maxtor 40g.
    do you think there migth be a problem there?
    thanks a lot for your help.

2. brianF

brianF

3. matias

matias Thread Starter

thanks a lot for answering brianf.
    i downloaded the drivers you told me, but i still have the same problem.the image is still terrible,and it hangs in all the games i play.
    do you think i should trie to get other drivers?
    thanks a lot for your help

4. brianF

brianF

Strange that the card won't work in either machine.

per ati display corruption can becaused by an old version of directx. Have you installed directx8.1

5. matias

matias Thread Starter

thanks again for your reply
    yes, i think so, doesnt win xp include directx 8.1?
    do you think there might be a problem there?

6. brianF

brianF

doubt it, didn't notice you where running xp

any particular game, or all games

duh, sorry, reread your post.

7. brianF

brianF

ensure that the AGP Aperture size configured in the system's CMOS is set to 128MB

I would also reinstall the latest driver from ati

8. matias

matias Thread Starter

god you guys are fast!!!
    thanks
    it actually hangs with every game, but for some it takes longer.
    i realised, that in some games the image is good, like rune or spiderman, but when i change to counter strike,medal of honor or gta3, i get the braking image.
    i ll reinstall the drivers.
    but for the agp aperture thing, how do you do that?

9. brianF

brianF

When your computer boots up, on the initial screen you should see a prompt to press key to enter setup, press the key, once in bios setup look through the menu's until you find the entry for agp aperture size, change it to 128 if not already set there

I believe all the games you mentioned having trouble with are direct3d type games, not opengl.

10. brianF

brianF

I'm not sure if winxp has this but go to start/run/ and type dxdiag and press enter. If directx diagnostics runs go to the display tab and make sure all three directx features are enabled, then run the two test features and see if they pass

11. matias

matias Thread Starter

i did the directx tests and they went ok, but i didnt find the things you told me to change in the bios, i only found something called graphic win size that could be changed to 128, but im not sure if its the same thing.
    it took out some ram just leaving it with 256, using only one slot, and it stoped hanging, do you think that the problem is with the motherboard? do you think i should just sell ot and buy a new one?

12. brianF

brianF

graphic win size must be the same as agp aperture size. I would change it to 128 and see what happens.
    Sounds like you just had a bad stick of ram, the os and machine should have handled that amount with no trouble.
    Hopefully it will keep working for you

13. fredpjr

fredpjr

I had the K7S5A motherboard and an ATI All In Wonder 7500 and I had a lot of trouble with games locking up. Switching from SD Ram to DDR cured the problem for me. So, if you end up having more trouble you can give that a try before getting rid of the motherboard. You'd most likely need DDR for any new Athlon XP motherboard you'd get anyway.

14. matias

matias Thread Starter

hey, thanks for your reply.

so, i bought 256 mb of DDR but it didn t change anything, my games still have terrible graphics. i dont know if i did something wrong,or the stick of ram isnt working, but i dont even see the difference between them, looks like if i still had 256 of sdram.
    i also tested my motherboard with o new ati radeon 8500, but i had the same problems. i tried it also with a geforce 4 ti 4600, and it worked fine, i know that this card is maybe 10 times better, but it maybe shows that there isnt a problem with the mobo.
    i also tried to change the settings from 64 mb to 128mb in the bios, but it didnt change anything.
    i tried to sell the card, but i could only get half of my money, and i ve only used this card for 2 months, so i really hope i could find a solution, but i dont what else to do to make it work.
    thanks a lot for your help

15. dan015

dan015

I had the same problem with geforce 2 mx400 and my athalon 1700+, the processor and the card conflict with each other. So i just ordered a xtasy geforce3 ti500 tonight (only $110 new)!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice