I can view my site, but others cant.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Twenty

I know this is probably n00by but i can only view my site using my WAMP server through my LAN IP. What ports do i have to foward so others can view my site through WAN? thank you

Hi,

can you please describe your setup, like network setup, operating system. usually this helps a lot.

Also you have to explain how you set it up and if your ISP allows home webservers. Quite a few ISPs block the default port 80. Basically the rule of thumb for external access is this -

ISP (not blocking port your using) - Router (nat firewall forwarding port to static IP PC) - Static IP PC running application using port.

In this case as a web server it would be port 80 and the router has to forward port 80 to the PC. BUT if the ISP blocks this port then no matter the forwarding your friends won't connect in.

Twenty

Yeah i have comcast and have a netgear router. I think i heard tho that comcast doesnt allow web servers or something...

Call Comcast and ask. If they don't allow port 80 communication you have to use a nonstandard port E.G. not port 80 and do the same instructions and the people then have to do - Http://site:port - where port is the nonstandard port number.

Twenty

Ok that makes sense. I also have a yahoo domain name and i was wondering how to point it to my comp's WAMP server? Here are the servers that they are now for yahoos default servers put how would i point it to mine?

Since Yahoo.com is the domain and your using a subdomain you may not be able to redirect it at all. Really this is something you have to ask yahoo but i have a sneaky suspiscion your going to get told it has to reside with them.

Twenty

Well i have changed the name to point to my firends web sever before with no trouble. I would i put in my ip in there or something? And i bought a domain from them... So i have my own domain.

Yeap all DNS is reolving a domain name to an IP if you have the ability to change the IP you just put in your WAN IP and then its changed it does take a little time for this to propogate and usually isn't instant.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online