Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I cannot create a recurring task in MS Outlook 2016

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  tomg35 
G
#1 ·
When I create a task and then try to make it recurring by clicking on the "Recurrence" button in the ribbon, Outlook crashes. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes not.This always happens. A can reliably always make this happen.
Things I have tried: scanpst.exe, Stellar Repair for Outlook, Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (totally useless), created a new profile, tried running Outlook from a newly created Windows user account, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2016 TWICE (once manually), removed all plug-ins and add-ons.
The only thing I haven't done is create a new PST file. There used to be an easy way to do this and then just copy all the items from the old data file to the new, but it seems that MS doesn't allow the creation of new PSTs this any more.
When I reinstalled Office, it came back with my customizations to the Quick Access Toolbar, so I doubt that I really completely uninstalled it, even though I followed Microsoft's instructions.
I've looked at all my other installed programs, but don't see any that I think would involve Office. I have installed GogTasks (from gogtasks.com) and Calendar Sync Pro (from pppindia.com), but I haven't activated or run them since the reinstalls. They don't
show up in the ribbon any more.
I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535), and Microsoft
Office 2016 MSO Click-to-Run (16.0.12325.20280) 64-bit. Also called Outlook Version
1912 (Build 12325.20288 Click-to-Run).

From SysInfo:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190701124213.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (22 GB Free); D: 915 GB (780 GB Free); E: 15 GB (1 GB Free); F: 3725 GB (1085 GB Free); G: 2794 GB (2306 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 82F3, ver A01, s/n PGECR0BWBAI008
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 8CQ819005F
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
Thanks for help.

See less See more
#4 ·
Strange.

You mentioned that when you uninstalled Office it came back with the customisations. The link below is a tool that is supposed to completely remove office. Have you tried logging into O365 via the portal and see if you can set the appointment up there? If it does then it may be a configuration issue on your desktop, but if it doesn't then goodness knows.

If this tool doesn't help then log into your O365 account on a browser and contact office support.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...rom-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

G
#5 ·
Thanks again, tomg35.
I actually tried all three ways of uninstalling referenced on that page: Option 2 - the uninstall support tool; and (unnumbered Option 3) - uninstall Office manually. That last was what I was referring to by "manually" in my original post. But really, both of these options seem to have left remnants behind. Perhaps I will retry them.
I am gradually coming to a point where I am considering reinstalling Windows! And then reinstalling Office.
Also - I have a Microsoft account, but not an O365 account. I'm running Office 2016 on a stand-alone desktop setup. Can I really do the O365 thing as you suggest?
I don't mean to shoot you down. Keep the suggestions coming!
Thanks.

#8 ·
Thanks again, tomg35.
I actually tried all three ways of uninstalling referenced on that page: Option 2 - the uninstall support tool; and (unnumbered Option 3) - uninstall Office manually. That last was what I was referring to by "manually" in my original post. But really, both of these options seem to have left remnants behind. Perhaps I will retry them.
I am gradually coming to a point where I am considering reinstalling Windows! And then reinstalling Office.
Also - I have a Microsoft account, but not an O365 account. I'm running Office 2016 on a stand-alone desktop setup. Can I really do the O365 thing as you suggest?
I don't mean to shoot you down. Keep the suggestions coming!
Thanks.[/QUOT

If you have O365 as a subscription then definitely there is support. I'm not in front of my pc at the moment but I think if you go to file > account there should be a link there for support.
I just may help if you were to list step by step the method that you are doing in trying to set up this task?

I do not see any method of doing this Outlook?
On my installation you go to File > Account and there is a link for support there.

#6 ·
I just may help if you were to list step by step the method that you are doing in trying to set up this task?

I do not see any method of doing this Outlook?

G
#7 ·
Hi, DaveA.
Well, there are several ways to get the New Task form. One way, you can click on the "New Items" in the ribbon, and then click on "Task". Ctrl-Shift-K gets you to the same place. Then you get the screen in my screenshot. I fill out "Subject" and "Start date". Everything is fine if I just Save & Close. But if I click on "Recurrence" in the middle of the ribbon, to set up a recurring task, Outlook crashes. That's it. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes not. If I have saved the task before doing "Recurrence", the task survives. If I click on Recurrence before saving the task, it's gone.
I've been creating recurring tasks successfully since Office 95 (2001?), but this just started a couple of weeks ago.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.