1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I cannot download large files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by The Good Guy, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Thread Starter

Hi,

I looked on the forum before hand and couldnt quite find my problem on here. I recently reformatted my computer, updated etc. I never had problems downloading from storage sites before. Even after the recent reformat. Somthing I did must be interferring with my ability to download large files though.

I can still download small files like 5 mb, but files like 520 mb just keep loading forever and never start in my mozilla download window. If I try saving the link as it works but saves as like 536 bytes.

Ive tried shutting my firewall off, virus protection, but nothing has worked. I'd really rather not reformat AGAIN lol.

Thanks for the help.

2. The Good Guy

I guess I solved it, I reset firefox to default settings. I dont knw why that would have effected explorer though. weird

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. The Good Guy

It reverted back to the same problem. It keeps asking me for certificates to connect to even the simplest of websites, like google search.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

I suggest that you follow the steps in the URLs I posted, starting with the one about troubleshooting FF with FF's safe mode, which is not the same as W7's safe mode.

If the problem occurs in FF's safe mode, boot to W7's safe mode with networking, try FF in FF's normal mode. If the problem persists, while in W7's s m w n, try FF using FF's safe mode.

S M w/ N may not connect using wi fi. Be prepared to connect via ethernet.

RF123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

It will be helpful if we have information about your system.

Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results in your next reply.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links
    If applicable, please provide your computer's brand, model & model #.

Which version of FF?

Is FF set to update automatically? Does that include add on & theme updates?

Please check the W7 update history & provide a screen shot of updates that occurred on or within 48 hours of onset of the problem.

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to FF or Java or an Adobe program for example?

RF123

7. The Good Guy

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8074 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 701415 MB, Free - 560200 MB; E: Total - 13943 MB, Free - 6328 MB;
    Motherboard: Alienware, M18xR2
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Firefox v20.0

I believe when the problem started I was using v19 and updated hoping it would fix the problem; and while it worked for a while it reverted back.

I reformatted my comp about a week ago. So I've been updating a lot.

Auto update is enabled.

I was last able to download files and surf unimpeded on the 21st

Thanks for the help

Somehow I cannot download any large files through any browser because of this, so I have no clue.

Attached Files:

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

T G G:
    Thanks for providing the information & screen shot.

Following your re-format / re-install of W7, did you begin with FF19 or FF 20?

I suggest that you give those troubleshooting tips a go. I don't think they involve any program downloads.

Have you emptied FF's cache?

What's the largest file you have been able to download? What's the size of the smallest file that has failed?

Is any warning or error msg displayed? If so, please provide a screen shot.

Was the onset on the 21st before or after the updates on 21 Feb?
    The cause of your problem might be 1 of those updates. Were this my computer, which it is not, I'd go through the mozilla articles on FF troubleshooting. I'd wait on uninstalling any W7 or hardware updates until waaaay down the road. :) But that's merely my opinion.

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

9. The Good Guy

I just completely removed and reinstalled firefox and I get the same problem on both FF and IE as far as dloading files. This is ridiculous.

Smallest file was like 3 mb, largest unable to dlownload like 530 mb

Havnt emptied the cache.

No warning displayed, just keeps trying to load when connecting to a site like rapidshare.com

I believe the onset was around the 21st.

10. The Good Guy

Troubleshooted, wasnt any of the add ons since i restarted in safe mode, still couldnt download.

11. The Good Guy

Troubleshooted, wasnt any of the add ons since i restarted in safe mode, still couldnt download.

I tried googling if any windows 7 updates interfered with mozilla download and nothing came up.

I did install updates directly from dell, maybe they had somthing to do with it. I took a SC

Attached Files:

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

In that case, boot to W7's safe mode with networking, try FF in FF's normal mode. If the problem persists, while in W7's s m w n, try FF using FF's safe mode.

S M w/ N may not connect using wi fi. Be prepared to connect via ethernet.

Keep us posted.

Best of success.

RF123

13. The Good Guy

Holy crap, It just worked, I left the screen up on my computer, it wasnt that it wasnt working, it just takes INSANELY long for the site to connect to my computer, what could be the cause of this delay? It never did that before,

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

T G G :
    Congratulations!

What worked?

If you mean safe mode with networking, welcome to the world of clean boot troubleshooting.
    Here are 2 articles, & my method.

The most important aspect of troubleshooting is to be methodical, rather than shot gunning. No offense to hunters or non hunters. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...orming-a/5ecb211d-c882-4e55-a057-7ff42bc26eee

My Method
    As a general troubleshooting precaution, back up your important data before beginning.
    Create a system restore point before every step.

Take meticulous notes or create screen shots or take pictures for your record. You probably won't need to post them, unless you have a question.

The reason for this is because if you rely on "I enabled the top 5 things", you may be surprised that the order of the items in the lists has changed. Except for a rare occasion when an anti malware service or startup item will re-enable [ re check itself ], that won't happen. If it does, uncheck them again. :) My opinion is that as humans, we are in charge of the programs on OURcomputers. (y)

Go the the system config utility [ msconfig ]
    start > search
    Type: msconfig.exe
    RIGHT click on it in the results area.
    Left click "send to" desktop create shortcut

OR, you can manually repeat the steps using the search area.

Open the System Configuraton Utility
    Left click "services" tab
    Left click "manufacturer" That will sort the items by manufacturer.
    After you have made a list or created screen shots which you need not attach, but you can if you prefer:
    left click "hide all microsoft services"
    THEN left click "disable all services"
    This will keep the Microsoft services enabled

Left click "startup" tab
    Left click "disable all services"
    Left click "ok"
    Accept the reboot option.
    Test

Report back, or you can continue yourself.

If the problem has gone, with everything on the "startup" tab disabled & all the non Microsoft services on the "services" tab disabled
    Proceed as follows, or report back for advice.

You may notice that some items have re-enabled themselves. Oh well. :)

If the problem has not occurred, return to the system config utilty.

"services" tab
    Be sure that all Microsoft services are enabled.
    My method is to enable the items of a particular program on the "services" tab and the "startup" tab.
    Trying to determine which service is associated with which startup item or items can be a challenge.
    Do you best.
    Or post screen shots & ask for advice.

Left click "ok"
    Reboot
    Test
    It is important to note that the changes do not take effect until the computer reboots.

If the problem occurs, you know that something you checked is causing the problem.

If the problem does not occur, you know that something from the remaining items is the culprit.

I might have some tips when it comes to re-enabling items.
    I prefer to re-enable services for a product or manufacturer & corresponding startup items.
    I have confidence in you, but I offer my assistance.
    The purpose of clean boot troubleshooting is to use the scientific method [ as opposed to haphazard or shotgun method ] to determine the cause of the conflict.

After the reboot, W7 will notify that you are running in selective startup & ask if you want to see the msg again. I select the "no" option, but it is your choice

RF123

15. The Good Guy

I never safe booted, I just kept trying and finally gave up, and forgot to close out of the download screen.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice