1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I cannot log into my second router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by j0vian723, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j0vian723

j0vian723 Thread Starter

my first router is a netgear dlink router, second router is a new linksys business class router, they are connected through the lan ports with straight through cables. dhcp is disabled on the second linksys router and i did not change the ip so they are all on the same network with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. the gateway is the default received from dhcp server on the first dlink router. I need to log into the linksys router to make changes to settings but i do not want to reset the router to do it. I have tried unplugging the cables and plugged directly into the linksys router with a straight through cable into the lan port and assigned a static ip on my laptop and tried to log into the linksys router and the page would not load. I did not try to set a static default gateway . I tried the same thing with a crossover cable into the lan port as well and could not connect. I tried logging into the router with the ip 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254 but i cant get into the the router. Im not sure what ip address of the router is when it is unplugged from everything but my laptop. i have tried netstat and couldnt find the router. i have tried using a dynamic ip and could not log into the router but it assign my laptop an ip address starting in the 269. something range. i did a netstat to find the routers ip and i only get a loopback address 127.0.0.1. I need help logging into my second router.When i plug the straight through cable from the dlink router everything connects fine and the gateway becomes 192.168.0.1 again and i can see all hosts on the network and can access the internet as well.
    i enabled remote management on the router when i set it up through port 8080 but I dont know how to log in using remote management. When i type in 192.168.0.1 I can log into the dlink router. When I type in 192.168.0.1:8080 it says page cannot be displayed.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "new linksys business class router" doesn't pin down the model sufficiently for me to find the manual, so I'll leave it to you to find its default IP address. I'll assume that it defaults to 192.168.1.1 and mask 255.255.255.0.

Connect a computer to a LAN port of the Linksys; set a static IP of 192.168.1.100, Mask 255.255.255.0. You should now be able to access the configuration pages at 192.168.1.1.

When you get in remember to change its LAN IP to an IP in the 192.168.0.x range (where x is from 2 through 254 and not in the D-Link's Dhcp server address range).

3. j0vian

j0vian

Thanks it worked... No I just have to get my wireless printer to show up on the network. It has a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. The default gateway of the linksys is 192.168.0.1 and the default gateway of the linksys wrvs4400n is 192.168.0.1. The ip address of the dlink outer is 192.168.0.1 and the ip address of the linksys router is 192.168.0.199. I just enabled the DHCP relay function on the linksys and pointed to to the dlink as the dhcp server 192.168.0.1. (but im note sure hows this helps or whether i neeed a dhcp relay) the printer ip address is 192.168.0.118 (dhcp) gateway 192.168.0.118. I can only ping the printer or print to it when I am connected to the dlink router via wireless link. When I am connected to the linksys router via wireless link I am unable to ping or locate the Printer.

Printer Brother nc7400w

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Little confused about the Gateway discussion. The LAN IP address of the D-Link is 192.168.0.1, right? The Linksys's WAN is not connected (it is being used as a switch and wireless AP, not as a router), so Gateway is immaterial. The printer, whether a dynamic or static IP configuration should have a Gateway of 192.168.0.1.

I don't know what a "DHCP relay function" is, as there is no such feature on my "home" routers. Using one of my simple routers in this manner I'd simply disable the Dhcp server so that the only one on the network would be the D-Link's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice