1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I cannot the USB to SATA cable to my old laptop internal HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1874, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1874

1874 Thread Starter

Sorry, I am very naïve with computers. Basically my old laptop died and I bought a new one.
    I was hoping to connect my old internal hard drive to a cable and copy old files, photos etc to my new laptop.

The old internal hard drive was a WD1600BEVT a 160GB WD Scorpio Blue.

I removed it from my old laptop and because it had a stamp on it saying Serial ATA, I ordered a cheap USB to SATA cable, I currently do not think the issue is due to the cheapness as all I have seen on the internet have the same 'end' which is where I am struggling.

I cannot find anyway to attach the cable end to the connections on the WD hard drive, it just does not fit, the connections on the WD seem way too thick/wide to fit into the aperture on the SATA cable.

I will try to upload some photos.

Have I ordered the wrong cable ? What connection does my WD hard drive require ? Or am I just being incredibly silly.

Thank you
    harddrive.jpg harddrive connection.jpg harddrive connection angle.jpg cable.jpg

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi 1874, and welcome to TSG. It looks like you may have some kind of adapter attached to a standard SATA connector the HDD. Check if you can gently pull it off the HDD.

EDIT: I have attached a photo of the HDD without any kind of adapter on the end for reference.

Attached Files:

1874 likes this.
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

Here are both images side-by-side so you can better understand what Chuck is referring to.

One hard drive has an adapter, and the other identical hard drive does not.

---------------------------------------------------------------

1874 and cwwozniak like this.
  4. 1874

1874 Thread Starter

Thank you ever so much, I feel such an idiot. I have removed the 'adaptor' and the cable now connects.
    I still cannot get it to allow access to my old HDD but I will have to search for that or start a new post. Thank you for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice