1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I cannot use my disc drive. Why won't it work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak129, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

I am trying to update a computer I have received from a family member. I wanted to add a printer and Norton. I install the printer disc and nothing. Then I tried to install the Norton disc and nothing. I tried to view wedding photo's and I can't find the drive.

Does anyone no what might have happend?

The computer is also running very slowing. The person we got it from indicates that when he loaded Civilization V, the computer started to run slow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Did you check device manager and check to see if you have the correct firmware drivers? Whats the model and make of your PC?

3. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name LENOVO-C45ED690
    System Manufacturer LENOVO
    System Model 2623DAU
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12 GenuineIntel ~1828 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 79ETC9WW (2.09 ), 12/22/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Canada
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name LENOVO-C45ED690\Thomas
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 209.49 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.40 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Click start> control panel > and open up "system info" click on the "hardware" tab and select device manager. Tell me if you see any missing drivers with a yellow triangle or a question mark. Here is where you can find your CD and DVD drivers: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Have you checked in the my documents listing to see if the pix are in there?If all else fails look in the C drive under documents and settings. It should have the users name and then all other users etc.Sid Meiers civilization v is a huge game of about 3 gbs.If theres not enough ram in the computer thats one reason why its running slow.Its very possible the cd drive may have to be replaced as it sounds like its not reading the cds.As far as a good antivirus program theres a lot of good free ones out there instead of using norton which isnt free.Since the computer has windows xp media center edition in it its at least 6 years old as that version of xp came out in 2005.

6. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

Yes there is a yellow ! mark on the drive.

7. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

He downloaded it legally online. He did not want me to delete from the computer because he thought he would have to repurchase, is that correct? This game is stored on the hard drive right? If that is correct, why is it affecting the startup of the computer? Thanks again for the help.

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

9. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

This is what I get:

I get a yellow cirlce around a question mark that lies on top of a disc drive icon. It title is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4247N

I had not luck trying to update the drivers at window update. Nor did uninstalling and reinstalling the drive.

Any other thoughts?

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    For optical drives, all the required drivers are native to windows, Right click on the drive in Device Manager, then click on remove. Close Device manager, then restart the computer. You will recieve a "Found New Hardware" notice when you reach the desktop. This is Windows reinstalling the Driver for Optical drives. This frequently works when a driver is corrupted by another program.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If the game was purchased and its still in the computer somewhere what you can try doing is going to the C drive and look under the program files or documents and settings and see if the game is listed and see if you can transfer the whole file to a flash drive and then put it on a dvd so he will have it saved. if he purchased the copy online he should of saved any paperwork possibly sent to him in an email that has a registration number on it.that way he can download it again on his computer reinstall it put in the registration number if it asks for one and hes all set.My son has that set of games but his are on actual dvds.If however he didnt save any proof of purchase then he will be probably out of luck and will have to buy another copy if for some reason its not in the computer any longer.

13. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

How do I no which drivers are necessary on the list?

I'm given this list:

CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, CD-RW/DVD drive firmware update utility (Bootable CD ISO) - ThinkPad General [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

EasyEject Utility for Windows Vista, XP - ThinkPad [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

InterVideo WinDVD player update for Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP, 2000 - ThinkPad [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

Roxio Express Labeler update - ThinkCentre / ThinkPad [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

InterVideo WinDVD Creator update for Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98SE - Desktops / Notebooks [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

InterVideo WinDVD software update [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

CD-ROM driver for DOS and Windows 3.1 - ThinkPad [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

InterVideo WinDVD software - NetVista / ThinkCentre / ThinkPad / ThinkStation [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

Creator Business Edition and Multimedia Center for Think Offerings with LightScribe support for Windows 7, Vista, XP and 2000 [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

MultiMedia Center for Think Offerings for Windows XP and 2000 [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

Update for Multimedia Center for Think Offerings [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

DVD Multi drive firmware update utility (Bootable CD ISO) - ThinkPad [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]
    > Learn More

Utility to update and correct the icons in Roxio Digital Media LE or Multimedia Center for Think Offerings [+] Click for files
    [​IMG]

14. jak129

jak129 Thread Starter

I uninstalled the device, restarted the computer, and no such luck. Now the drive is not showing up.

Any other thoughts?

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does the drive show up in BIOS?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice