Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I cant access a secured wireless network! HELP!

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
Ive been trying for a long time to access a secured network on my laptop. I entered the correct network key, but when I hit 'connect' it just tries to connect for a while and then times out. I have tried using Network Connections Troubleshooting and 'network setup' to no avail! My laptop is the only one in the house that isn't able to access this network. I really don't understand why! Can someone help please?

#2 ·
Please supply the following info, exact models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

What level of encryption are you using on the link? If you're using WEP, you should ALWAYS use the HEX key option, not the passcode option. That may get translated into different values for different brands of WiFi equipment.

#3 ·
OK...
ISP= Windsrtream USA
Modem= SpeedStream 5200
Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
I have wired and wireless connection but Im only having wireless issues
Toshiba Tecra 9100
Toshiba Wireless LAN mini PCI card
XP-sp2
WEP is being used, I dont see any HEX key option

#4 ·
I'm sure your Netgear router allows you to configure the WEP password as a HEX string, I'd look a bit closer. :)

I'm curious, with that combination of equipment, why not use the vastly superior WPA encryption? It'll also make it easier, because there is only one way to enter the key, with an ASCII passcode, and different equipment properly translates the keys. :)

#6 ·
Ok maybe Im a complete dumba$$, but I dont even know where to look as far as configuring the WEP password as a hex string!
The main computer/router/modem is all my mother's. She will not allow me to change settings on her computer bc her laptop and 2 others work fine with the way it is now.

#7 ·
You can download the User Manual from the support/downloads section of Netgear's web site.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser's address bar. With luck this will bring up the router's configuration pages. If it doesn't, you'll have to find out the router's actual address, as follows.

Start - Run - CMD - OK
ipconfig

The resulting "Default Gateway" is your router's address.

The aforementioned manual will tell you the default login/password to use. If that doesn't work you need to start discussing this with your mother!

Encryption (WEP, WPA, etc.) should be in the Wireless section. MAC Address will be in the wireless or Advanced or Filtering section. If MAC Address filtering is enabled then there is a list of wireless devices that are allowed onto the network. If disabled, then forget that I butted in, 'cause it's not a problem.

#11 ·
XxPrittyKittyxX said:
yes i can pick up several of my neighbor's networks but the connection is soooo very low so that really isnt an option.
Sorry for the confusion. I was not suggesting that you use the neighbor's connection.

What I was trying to say was that your problem may be that you may be accidentally trying to connect to a neighbor's secured wireless router without knowing it. If your router's wireless SSID is left at it's default name, you have no easy way of knowing if you are connecting to your router or to a neighbor that has the same brand of router with the same default SSID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.