1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't access our website from inside, we don't host it though

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JohnFiorello, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnFiorello

JohnFiorello Thread Starter

Hi!

So we built a website with squarespace. We updated our DNS record with Network Solutions to forward to Squarespace's servers. So far, so good.

After propagation, everyone seemed to be able to access the new site except for people who work here.

Here's what's weird. Sometimes we can access the new site, sometimes we can't access it. When we can't access it, ktechonlinedotcom doesn't open but www.ktechonlinedotcom goes to our old page that our DNS is no longer pointing to.

Weird as well: I can ping and tracert the IP address of squarespace's servers just fine, as well as their text domain www.squarespace6.com from inside, even when the browser can't connect.

So, we thought, let's clear our server's cache and we should be good, right? That wouldn't explain the spotty connection to the new site, but it would explain the connection to the old site.

Cleared the cache and re-started the servers... same problem. Cleared the cache on the local computers, same problem.

So, why can't I access our new website hosted externally from inside our local domain but everyone else can. And why can I access the new website SOMETIMES for an hour or two and then it goes away for 4 hours?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

JF

2. JohnFiorello

JohnFiorello Thread Starter

Ok, just an update for those reading. We set our outgoing DNS locally from one of our computers from Auto Discovery to google's servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and we were able to reach the site just fine.

I think that tells us that there is a specific DNS redirect in our router for our website that is set to a static IP address. Once we open up the router and check, I'll let you know what I find.

JF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice