1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't activate Windows XP. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmguiliani, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmguiliani

jmguiliani Thread Starter

I have an original retail version of Windows XP Home Edition. I believe this is my third or fourth reinstall with this CD of Windows and the Serial it brought with it. I only have used this Windows on two PC's, and only once on one of them. Now i reinstall Windows XP and everything is alright, but when I try to activate Windows (through the Internet, not telephone) it tells me that the number of times i can activate Windows with my serial has exceeded. I thought I could reinstall as many times as I wanted as long as I used an original copy of Windows XP. Can someone help me out here and tell me whats happening. Though I was considering buying Vista, I better wait to have a computer with the recommended settings to get the most out of it. I dont want to buy another copy of Windows XP. Please Help!

2. yankeebean

yankeebean

you are only allowed to install it on 1 machine per CD. you are able to reinstall as many time as you like..

As you have loaded this on to 2 diferent computers you have breached the copyright.

you will need to purchase a 2nd disc now so you can have both computers running on XP.

this is why it will not let you activate it as it is already activated on the 2nd machine.

hope this helps

3. john1

john1

So why was it allowed to activate on the 2nd machine ... ?

4. norton850

norton850

From your post it's not clear at this momment whether this copy of XP is on one machine (legal) or two (illegal). If it is legal then all you will need to do is contact Microsoft and activate it by phone. You will have to tell them your story of course.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You really should read the EULA that came with the copy of XP, it explains all of this pretty clearly.

6. jmguiliani

jmguiliani Thread Starter

I recently figured out that the person to whom i lend my Windows XP Serial did not get to activate Windows either beacuse of my same problem. You think by telephone the problem would be resolved?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

in 6 mins . .

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Probably because one of the other three people that you "lent" your serial number to activated it. :rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice