1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I can't add my gmail account to laptop...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BIGALX58, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I have an outlook.com and a gmail account. They are both listed when I use Win 10 Mail on my desktop and older laptop. I just got a new laptop and I want to add to it, the same gmail account to my Win 10 Mail. It seems that I have to set up a new gmail email account and not simply transfer the old one over to the new laptop? I don't know how the other computers have both email accounts listed. Please help. Thanks.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8073 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 226 GB (177 GB Free); D: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 827E
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

You can access any of these account from as many computers that you want to, there is NO limit.

You jus need to open the mail program and add the settings that are needed.

From Google
    • Launch your Email App. Press the WINDOWS key on your keyboard to access the Windows 10 Start menu. Select Mail.
    • Add an email account. Click the Settings icon. Click Accounts. Click Add Account. ...
    • Enter Internet email account settings. Incoming email server: pop.shaw.ca. Account type: POP3. ...
    • Click Sign-in.

4. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get the gmail account listed on the laptop. When I configured the gmail account I used the same incoming/outgoing data I use for the Outlook.com email. I have a feeling that isn't right because I sent myself an email to my gmail account and it didn't arrive. What configurations should I use?
    PS...I just noticed that he email I sent to my laptop gmail account did show up on my desktop....it looks like I did configure the account incorrectly.?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. DaveA

When it comes to computers one needs to not to expect instant service.
    Glad you got things working.

Now you need to mark this thread solved.

6. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I appreciate your help and time! I don't want to be obtuse, but I can't send or receive emails from this account. It seems to me that I have to create a new gmail account before, I think, it's accepted by this computer.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I find your post # 3 to be entirely ambiguous and confusing. I'm not sure if you still have a problem or if David's interpretation is true.

In the above quote what "data" are you talking about? I first thought that maybe you are trying to use the outlook.com mail servers to get your gmail.

8. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Sorry to be so ambiguous. All I want is to get my gmail to work on my new laptop. Why this happening is baffling to me. Even though I have 2 email accounts ( gmail and Outlook.com) listed, the Outlook.com is the only one that works properly on the new laptop. My other computers have the same email accounts and both work properly. You were correct in thinking that I am using Outlook.com servers to get gmail...I didn't know what else to use. Sorry for using improper terminology...

9. ashrich

ashrich

outlook.com servers handle outlook mail , not googles so you need the correct settings put in to get things working
    [email protected] ...outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com ,port 465 with SSL enabled , incoming mail is pop.gmail.com ...port 995 with SSL enabled

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Use the same servers, ports, etc., as you have on the other computers. If you are using POP mail you may want to switch to IMAP.

11. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Thanks....I have added an account and entered the servers as suggested by using the advanced setup, internet email POP 3 account...but there was no place to enter the port numbers...as aresult I still can't send or receive emails. What am I missing this time?

12. ashrich

ashrich

where you entered the server details you can enter them like so ...pop.gmail.com:995:1 and the other one is ...smtp.gmail.com:465:1

13. ashrich

ashrich

Dont forget the colons between com and the numbers then between numbers and 1

14. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Did that, but still can't send or receive emails. I do get messages telling me to update my password or my settings are out of date.

15. DaveA

Post a screen shot of the pane that you are entering the server info?

16. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

4.jpg View attachment 257808
    View attachment 257806

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      155.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191725