I cant change my public ip address

ineedhelplol

So I used to dabble a bit in....not so good things and I think i'm getting ddos'd by a former partner, i've tried every method i've seen on the internet multiple times but my IP address remains the same, how would i change it, and contacting my ISP isn't an option, how would i change it?

plodr

Liz
Depends on the ISP. Disconnecting and unplugging the modem doesn't always change the IP. I've lost electric for 18 hours and my IP has been the same since November 2017!

So if unplugging for 24 hours doesn't change your IP, then you have 2 choices: contact your ISP or get a new ISP.

Ask your ISP what is the DHCP lease time - that will tell you how long it keeps the same ip unchanged.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you running any servers? If not, then you shouldn't have any concerns.

What makes you think you're getting DDOS'd?

Fireflycph

Morten
You can try to change the MAC address of your router. I know that if I change mine here the ISP (Spectrum) will issue a new public ip. At least they did around a year ago.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about you mention specifically what ISP you have? I know with Verizon I can log into my router and release the IP for the public connection, wait for an hour or so, then renew it, and I usually get a new IP addess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online