1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't connect my laptop to my tv via hdmi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SorenDK, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SorenDK

SorenDK Thread Starter

So, as the title says I'm having trouble with the connection from my laptop to my tv through hdmi, and I've tried quite a few things to solve the problem, but I'm not the most gifted person with computers or technology as a whole, I've simply run out of ideas.

Before I moved out from my parents' house in november, I'd lent a tv of theirs (a non-smart lg tv) that worked perfectly with my current laptop and hdmi, so I had to get a new tv+hdmi. So I went out and bought a new tv (LG 42LF580V). After a week it stopped being able to connect with my new 5 metre hdmi cable, so I went out and got another hdmi cable (also 5 metres). That worked for about 2 days and then that also stopped working, so I figured it was the tv. I sent it back and ordered a new tv (Samsung UE40J5515). I never got that to work with my hdmi cables and laptop, so I sent that back too. Some time in the middle of all that I've had my laptop connected to various things at school through hdmi, and I've also had it connected to both my neighbour's and my friend's tv so see if something was wrong with my laptop, but I had no problem with that.

Xmas was approaching and as I went back to my parents' house on holiday, I of course brought my laptop and one of the first things I did was connect it to the non-smart lg tv that I used to use. It connected instantly and worked without any problem at all for the next two weeks until I had to go home.

When I got home I ordered yet another tv (Philips 43PUS7100) with another brand new hdmi cable (2 metres, that's the length the one at my parents' house has). It worked for 1½ day and haven't been able to connect it to my laptop since that. I took the new hdmi cable back to the store and got yet another more expensive one. I was never able to make a connection with that.

I've tried every setting that I know of on each of the tvs and my laptop and there's just nothing that seems to work. Again, I'm not the best with this kind of technology and I just don't know what to do anymore. All I want is to stream a nice game of football while I use my laptop on the side.

The only difference between the tv at my parents' house and the tvs that I've had are that my tvs have been smart tvs while the one at my parents' house is a non-smart model. To my knowledge that shouldn't be a problem of any kind, but if someone can tell me otherwise, I'd be pleased to hear about it as I'm getting to the point where I no longer believe that I'm just unlucky. Something has to be wrong somewhere on my end, but I just can't figure out what it is.

Tl;Dr:
    3 new tv's and 4 hdmi cables later and I still can't connect my laptop to my tv via hdmi. My laptop is the only thing that's worked consistently with hdmi before, so that's not the problem. All my drivers are up to date. What do I do?

2. SorenDK

SorenDK Thread Starter

A solution I've not yet tried is to get a vga to hdmi cable instead of hdmi to hdmi. I honestly don't know the difference or if that could work, but if anyone knows, I'd love to hear it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice