1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't connect my laptop to the internet wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by coltoncolnar, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltoncolnar

coltoncolnar Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T1400 @ 1.73GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 51346 MB, Free - 7113 MB; D: Total - 51130 MB, Free - 15135 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Acadia
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Disabled

I have another laptop that connects to my internet connection no problem. the problem is that when i even try to look for the modem on my computer that it doesnt show up my computer doesnt find any wireless connections at all. i tried downloading new drivers i just paid 40$ to do so and the problem is still there. i have had this problem for quite some time now and ive tried everything i can think of im hoping your expertise can help me out. its a brand new modem just got it today internet is fast when im wired or on the other laptop wirelessly. i just cant figure out why my computer wont connect to the modem even when i type the username and password on the modem. please help (y)

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Basic stuff first>

We'd rather have the Model and make of the notebook so we can help you easier. Look for the exact model on the label on the bottom of your notebook....post that please. I see it is an Acer......

You should use only one wireless utility to find and connect to wireless connections.....Windows has one built in, but the drivers for wifi adapters often install one as well...this can be confusing and conflicts occur.

See if for example, your wireless adapter is an Intel Pro, (just as an example) open the driver window for it from the Device Manager or Network in the Control Panel...... see if there is anything that tells you by a checkmark, that the utility to configure the wireless being used is the Intel one, and if that is NOT the case, then the Windows one is probably being used....so,

to get to that one, right click the network adapter icon down in the system tray if it shows there, and use that to "Search for Wireless networks"

Try the Intel or other brand's utility if the Windows utility is NOT set as the configuring utility.....

The branded ones usually appear like cell phone bars and usually are green, if you are very near the modem or router, the signal should be full bars... and these also would normally be located in the system tray down by the clock.... or they can be checkmarked in the driver window to appear in the tray if you want to use that utility instead of the Windows one. The Windows utility icon is usually the two-computer familiar icon. These light up when the connection is active.

Do you know about the wireless switch or key combo to *Enable* the wireless adapter?

All wi-fi notebooks have this feature usually> wireless can be turned off. You should see somewhere, one of the Fn keys along the top row, or on the front , a lighted possibly Blue, tiny LED which would tell you the wireless is ON>

I've included the graphic symbol for wireless here

Attached Files:

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Laptop manufacturers keep changing the wireless switch, but at one time for Acer: Front of laptop, low and hard to see, two little glass spots, push hard enough to get a red LED.

Assuming you're talking about an integrated wireless adapter the driver should be from Acer's site, and should cost nothing. If it is an external card the driver should be from the card manufacturer's site, and should cost nothing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice