1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't connect to much

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lil Jimmy, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil Jimmy

Lil Jimmy Thread Starter

Why can't I connect to anything? I can't use uTorrent (to download legal files, of course), I can't play a game over the internet, I can't connect through Steam, and yet I could a few days ago, and I hadn't (knowingly) changed anything. When a program tries to access the internet, I always get an error, saying I should turn off my firewall/anti-virus software.

The only thing I can connect to is the internet through my internet browser, and MSN messenger/WLM.

It's as though my firewall is on and it's blocking everything, except I have no firewall/antivirus on, and the Windows firewall is off. So what gives?

I have Windows XP and a Belkin F5D7230-4 router, except I'm no longer connected through my router (modem goes directly to my computer) Could it be that the ports I need are closed, or something? I really don't know, especially since it happened randomly =/

[Note: I posted on another forum a few days ago. Maybe you should check out that thread. http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-xp-2000/54038-cant-connect-much.html]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice