1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't delete an account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JAKEMAN42, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAKEMAN42

JAKEMAN42 Thread Starter

Everytime I have tried to delete one account it freezes and I have to send an error report. Is there anyway I can delete this account?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Have you tried in Safe Mode using the Admin account....

3. Crusnik

Crusnik

Could always try deleting it from C:\Documents and Settings manually.

Try reseting before deleting it and logging into a different account with admin access. Sometimes in the past when trying to delete accounts it seemed like the files were still in use or something till I reset.

4. ACA529

ACA529

Would that be something safe to do? :confused:

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

You could do it but it wouldn't get rid of all the data for that account.

I would try what bonk suggested.

6. Crusnik

Crusnik

More of an alternate method if deleting it from the Control Panel does not work.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Deleting a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\ does nothing to delete an account except to delete a reference to it. It would still appear at the login screen or in User Accounts in Control Panel.

8. Crusnik

Crusnik

Err.. I got myself mixed up.

I'm thinking of accounts on a domain.

If ya delete a domain accounts C:\Documents and Settings\, their "account" will disappear from that machines user list.

-----

So... Try this if you're unable to remove it from the Control Panel while logged in under and admin account.

1) Goto Start > Run, type cmd

2) Type net user to list the accounts on that PC.

3) If the account you want to delete is listed, type net user <account name> /delete

Hope that helps.

9. bbearren

bbearren

It depends on how many and what type of accounts are on your machine.

XP requires a minimum of 2 Administrator accounts on a machine. One is the Administrator, and the second is "Owner", if you don't specify an account name when you install XP. If you specify an account name during installation, that name becomes an account in the Administrators Group.

If the account you're trying to delete is in the Administrators Group, and there are no other accounts in the Administrators Group (other than the always-present Administrator), XP will not delete the account.

You will have to create another account in the Administrators Group (so that there are at least three) in order to delete the "second" account in the Administrators Group.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice