Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i cant do i a clean windows xp installation

761 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Swingvoter 
#1 ·
i try to do a reboot so i can delete everything off my hd and install windows xp and start from scratch. i make the primary boot drive to the cd in BIOS settings, and when i start my pc i press F11 to bring up the boot menu select the drive it reads the cd but doesnt start anything and just continues to loads windows. i then didnt press F11 to see if it would do it but still no change. I just dont know how to make it boot.

any help?

Thanks

#2 ·
Get another installation CD, just make sure it's bootable.
You can try another boot cd to see if your CD drive is booting from it.

Some CD drives do not allow to boot from CD if they are not present in the BIOS (when they show as not installed in the ide devices list), though once in windows they work anyway.

#3 ·
If you set the BIOS to boot first from cd, you should not need to press F11 . . Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

#6 ·
Get in touch with your Manufacturer. Live help online is good. They should be able to direct you to their Website for complete instructions on how to Reinstall all your software that came with your computer, beginning with Reinstalling your Operating system. Print a copy of this, so you will have instructions to follow. I have Gateway myself, and they were very helpful with my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.