1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i cant download anything at all

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bouncychick, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bouncychick

bouncychick Thread Starter

my pc worked fine until oneday i got a virus,malware,spyware,adware and a trojan,oh and not forgetting a worm, i thought i knew enough about computers to fix this myself, (i had sp2 running fine until then,that i had downloaded off the internet) so i wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows, that was about 3 months ago, now my pc just wont download anything.
    iv a newish motherbard that needs sp1 minimum for my audio to work, but if i install it from a disk,i then need to install a universal bus controller from the internet,but as my pc wont download anything, i cant do this. iv tried every thing from msn to media player to windows updates to service pack one and 2 them selves, all it does it down load until it comes to extracting files, then it will come up with "error in extracting file, file may be corrupt"
    the major problem with this is if its a windows service pack or update that says this, once i turn my pc off at hte end of the night, it wont boot up again the next day and i have to re-install windows,and ive done it that many times my key-code off my cd has run out.......

could it be that there is a problem with my hard drive or just that i need to install something for things to completely download?

i had avg anti virus and firewall running when i was trying to do it .....but even without that it wont work?

please please can some one help me? im fed up of sittiing in front of a pc that just taunts me lol

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi bouncychick

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Are you deleting and recreating the partition, before you install Windows?

3. bouncychick

yes!!! iv just ried downloading sp2 from microsoft update and it installed all but sp2,the good thing is my pc still worked after this but iv still no sound or service pack....

4. EAFiedler

5. bouncychick

yea i have been deleteing hte partition and re installing, iv even tried a new hard drive and hte exact same thing keeps happening. at hte mo iv got sp1 from a disk on it, but i still cant down load updates properly,iv managed to download msn,that took a few trys but it worked in the end, but if i download the updates all but 3 work, im not too sure what the ones that dont work are,apart from one being sp2.......and once again if i dod this and that bit doesnt install, i have to put in windows all over again....

iv tried going to repair windows but it asks for a code so i cant even try that......is teh downloading of updates anything to do with any part of my pc apart from my hard drive? could it be a fault with another part of it? a friends checked over my bios and thats fine ....but still no joy on the downloading or sound !!!! thanks for your replys aswell!!!

xxx

6. EAFiedler

What code is it asking for when you attempt a Repair?

Can you tell us a bit more about your computer?
    What is the make of the motherboard?
    Are you using SATA hard drives?

Did you download the Network Installation Package for Service Pack 2 and attempt to install it while disconnected from the Internet?
    The file size is 266 MB. This file can also be copied to a CD to avoid downloading it over and over.

There is also the option of creating a slipstreamed CD which contains Windows XP as well as both Service Packs.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice