Solved I can't download Discord

Luanr

Whenever I try to open the discord startup thing this message appears: the procedure entry point setdefaultdlldirectories could not be located kernel32.dll
I am not very good at computer things, I tried following a youtube video but it did not work and now I don't know what to do. Please help me!

On Windows 7 you need to download and install KB4457144 from Microsoft's Update Catalog.

If you're running the 32-bit version of Windows 7, you want the download labeled:
  • 2018-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4457144)
If you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you want the download labeled:
  • 2018-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4457144)

--

How to determine if you're running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7

Click the Start button > right-click Computer and select Properties. Under System see the System Type option under the Item column. The associated value, in the Value column, will indicate if it is 32- or 64-bit. "x86" is 32-bit, "x64" is 64-bit.

For example, this screenshot is showing "x64" which is 64-bit:

Luanr

So I downloaded it like 2 times then something else came up and said something abt I might have to restart, so I did, and something updated. I'm back now and it still doesn't work.

1601388094798.png
This was the first thing that appeared and I tried both?
This was before I restarted btw

Last edited:

Luanr

I can't upgrade to windows 10, I've been told my pc won't be able to handle it. I was able to have it before but I factory reset it recently because of space problems and now it doesn't work anymore.
1601389722319.png
Do you think my pc could handle it though?

You only need a 1GHz CPU (yours is 2.90 GHz), and for the 64-bit version of Windows you need 2 GB of RAM (yours has 4 GB).

As far as space needed on the Hard Disk Drive (HDD)/Solid State Drive (SSD), the 64-bit version needs 20 GB.

To see how large your HDD/SSD is, click Start, type in msinfo32 and press [Enter]. Under Hardware Resources, select Storage, then Drives. Over on the right, you should see the number of GB (GigaBytes) to the right of Size.

Another way to see would be to press [Winkey]+[E], right-click your C: drive and select properties.

FWIW, (for whatever's it's worth), I have a little HP 7 Stream tablet (7-inch touch-screen tablet) running the 32-bit version of Windows 10. It has a mere 1.33 GHz CPU, bare minimum of 1 GB of RAM and a dinky little 32 GB flash drive. Runs fine. However, since the screen is a bit small for my old eyes I durn near have to smash it against my face to use it. ;)

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Uninstall Discord, then reinstall it. If this doesn't work, worse case is that you would need to use the browser version.

Luanr

Sorry for my late reply, thank you for the advice! I will see what I can do my boyfriend said he could help me so we'll see if that works, if it doesn't I might try factory resetting it again. Or try downloading windows 10.

Luanr

I can't even download discord, the message I wrote about that pops up, pops up when I try to open the Discord setup file.

Luanr

sorry for my late reply, I’ve been trying to see what my boyfriend can do but it hasn’t worked and I even resettled my pc again so now I’ve got nothing to lose so I’m going to try and install windows 10! Hopefully it works like you said it would! Thank you for helping!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online