I can't export messages from Win.Live Mail to Thunderbird

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carolsm

I'm trying to move away from (the no longer supported) Windows Live Mail, and Thunderbird seems like it does everything I want. However, I want to transfer all my saved messages to Thunderbird, and have hit a wall.

The first step in the process per Thunderbird: "Export your messages from Windows Mail in .eml format." Well, they are already in .eml format... but if I try the "export" option in WLM, it gives me two choices: export to Windows Live Mail, or export to Microsoft Exchange/Outlook. I tried both (and the latter did nothing at all), but Thunderbird can't use the exported info from the first. So I can't even move on to step 2.

I posted on Thunderbird's community, but got no responses, and there don't seem to be other support options besides the community.

In the absence of an answer to this, can anyone recommend a non-web-based email program that will support several email addresses, and import my old emails? I'm even willing to pay for it!

Thanks, Carol

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200117143431.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 1861 GB (1476 GB Free); F: 931 GB (118 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n PF1KPB5E
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF1KPB5E
Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The native Mail app I would assume would have been able to import the emails.

Have you tried the drag/drop or copy/paste also from WLM to Thunderbird?

carolsm

By "the native Mail app", do you mean the Microsoft one? It doesn't seem to store things locally, just uses the web.

I did try drag and drop, but I'm not sure where to put it (tried a couple). Thunderbird has folders in AppData under both local and roaming, and nothing in those places with names that correspond to the folders that have messages in them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online