Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't find a way to download this embedded video

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/26736098/detail.html

I've tried several methods to download the embedded video on this web page in case it's not available one day including various Firefox add-ons, looking for the video in the temp folders of IE and Firefox after playing it in both browsers and a using a program called Orbit Downloader. Some of the techniques I've tried enabled me to get the advertisement that plays before the main video, but not the main video. Anyone know of a technique that will work?

#2 ·
I'm sorry but this would go against this forum's rules.

Streaming videos in general (Flash videos), when not providing any means to be downloaded, are not meant to be downloaded, period. You'd have to ask for permission to download copyrighted material from the authors.

#3 ·
I'm sorry but this would go against this forum's rules.

Streaming videos in general (Flash videos), when not providing any means to be downloaded, are not meant to be downloaded, period. You'd have to ask for permission to download copyrighted material from the authors.
Maybe in the future you could just report the post and let a mod take care of it? I don't know what "meant to be downloaded" means, but every video I watch on my PC from the internet is downloaded. I doubt there are any laws saying I can't keep what I've legally downloaded on my PC for personal use and if there's a forum rule against that (I couldn't find one) it would be silly, IMHO, but it should be something taken care of by a mod by simply clicking a button. If my question isn't breaking forum rules, your post is most likely going to stop a knowledgeable poster from submitting a helpful answer.

#4 ·
You're right, I'm not a Moderator and I should leave this matter to them. However, not all of them seem to agree on this particular issue. When streaming videos are available for downloading purposes, the websites make it quite clear with download links or buttons. In my opinion, the following rule may apply to the situation but I agree that it can be debatable:

Other Illegal Activities - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advice on using illegal software, as it will be removed.
Since I have no authority on this forum, by all means, continue and let's leave it to the Moderators...

#6 ·
The Terms of Use states that "selected" areas of the web site can be downloaded for personal use but it's not clear what areas are "selected". I can only assume that if there is no download mechanism on the site for the videos then they are not "selected" areas and that possibly some of them could be copyright protected.

Since it's not clear, I will ask Phantom to send me the instructions that he would post so we can determine if it's something that we should allow.

#8 ·
Thanks Phantom. :)

Martini,

Videos of this nature with no download option are usually meant for streaming only. Unfortunately, even if these videos are not copyright protected, using the proposed method would likely violate the terms of service and at the same time provide the means for others to intentionally download copyright protected material from other sites, which we cannot support.

So I have no choice but to close this thread as we cannot provide any assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.