1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't get anything to install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kizza08, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kizza08

Kizza08 Thread Starter

There are four computers is my house right now. Three of them are Vista, the fourth is Windows 7. I'm having the same issue on all of them. My dads Dell laptop, my moms Dell desktop, my old HP desktop, and now this brand new HP desktop. I'm hoping it will be easier to sort this out using the new computer.

I just bought this computer & I've had six HP techs take control of my computer and none of them can't figure out what's wrong. It's barely 24 hours old and I can do almost nothing on it.

I did manage to get Google Chrome installed last night by adjusting some of my internet security settings. I don't remember which ones. The tech restored my computer this morning and now I can't even get that to install. The message I'm getting is "Download error. The downloaded file failed verification. Error Code = 0x80040204" When I try to install Mozilla Firefox it says the fire is corrupt. Same thing with games & anything else I try to install.

We've tried anti-virus & other protection programs, but the computer seems fine. We've tried removing all the anti-virus programs, disabling my firewall, truning off windows defender & so on, but that didn't work either.

All of the computers are doing this. So I'm guessing specs don't really matter much.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: I finally got Google Chrome to install but nothing else. I went to control panel-Network & internet-Internet Options- Security & adjusted the custom level for internet security. download unsigned activeX controls. Don't know if that helps.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if this is the same on all four PCs - it sounds more like a download issue - if this is the common factor that you are installing from an downloaded program

do you have any programs on CD you could install ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice