1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't get into My Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by altros, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. altros

altros Thread Starter

Hi, I am currently having a problem trying to access My Computer, I will double click on the desktop icon and it wont open. All my desktop icons will disappear along with my task bar for a few seconds then reappear. then nothing will happen as if i never clicked it in the first place. I've tried accessing it through the start menu but to no avail. the rest of my desktop icons work but for some reason i cant get into My Computer. Is this a virus perhaps? Can somebody please help me!!

2. natcom

natcom

can you give us more info like when was the last time your computer was fine have you installed any new software or update ? for now check if the problem is there with a new a new user account

3. altros

altros Thread Starter

Yeah i just figured out whats happening, every time i try to access my computer an error message for Dr Watson post mortem debugger comes up and i have to either send a error report or just close it. I went online and found out that many people who have downloaded the latest updates for windows have also encountered this problem. but i guess im kinda of lucky cause many of them say there computer crashes. mine doesnt. but its still a pain im able to access these files in safe mode but thats about it. will you need more info please tell me i would like to remedy this problem (some else said there C drive was hacked and they lost all there files *_* eek!

4. natcom

natcom

did you try what I said before about login in with a new user account and trying there ?

5. polspe

polspe

I am getting the same sort of problrm except it is all my desktop folder. And
    I created a new user account and still had the same problems.

In addition when any user logs on to their account the MSN Explore login screen comes up, and as far as I can see this is not listed in the reg for the user under ......Current version. run.

Apart from waiting for a MS fix, any ideas???????

6. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

Try running a System Restore on the system, if this is WinXP. If you can think of when this problem started, go back about 3 or 4 days before the problem started happening. System Restore is here: Start - All Programs - Accesorries - System Tools - System Restore.

7. polspe

polspe

I tracked down the problems I was getting to number of adware software that had got past my checks.

The way I did this was as follows :-

I brought up the task manager in my normal sign on and made a list of processes running immediately after logon.

I then did the same in safe mode and started to delete the various programs and then searched the rigistry to remove references to said programs.

8. altros

altros Thread Starter

I tried the system restore and i created a new user account, but still nothing. I'm not computer illterate but im not exactly experienced either. how could i fix this problem? im pretty sure this came from adware as well.

9. Kuro-Inu

Kuro-Inu

The only thing that has worked for me is going into my system configuration by pressing the F2 key just as the computer starts then changing os install into the on position. However, it reduced my 512Mb memory to 256Mb I hope that helps, until I can find a way to solve the problem perminately

10. orochimaru

orochimaru

u can try go to the error log to see the error messages associated with it, =try to access it from safe mode see if you can. otherwise, there might be processes that are blocking it, you might want to clean out the registry a bit.

11. Kuro-Inu

Kuro-Inu

Well I have been working on the broblem all day, a friend just suggested that I wipe the drive and reload my programs- I just dont have any way of storing all the programs I have downloaded. so until i get some money- I'll have to keep my pc running with the osInstall mode in the on position, as bypassing Dr. Watson did not work at all.I is funny, I have not done anything differnt than what i normally do. but then Iam probably an idiot anyway- but since i will be building my own custom pc, and tossing this dell i t wont be a problem forever. i just wish i could solve the problem.

12. altros

altros Thread Starter

well this problem is still bothering me, i haven't been able to access my files for some time now. i only get to them in safe mode, which is sort of a pain. but i recently recieved a message from windows about new updates. Do you think they fixed the problem. since it was there updates that screwed up my computer in the first place. Or do these updates that have the potential to ruin something else on my computer. i dont trust them... no sir i dont like it....

13. gmarchion

gmarchion

I'm Having the same problem. When searching Microsoft there is a step by step fix.

They say the cause maybe from running SP2 on an AMD 64 based computer OR You have Data execution Protection (DEP) switch (/noexecute) enabled in the boot.ini file. OR you have Norton Clean Sweep Configured to automatically load and monitor installation when windowa starts.

How ever this did not work for me but might work for you.

P.S. You can enter MY Computer by loading your iexplorer and simply type example "Control Panel" enter then folder up to MY Computer.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice