1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't get on the Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sam35023, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam35023

sam35023 Thread Starter

My neighbor has a fence charger that is making noise on my modem and it want get on line. what can I do are there any noise sensors that I can put on. the Phone company put a Filter on the line and it helps but it still messes up and I can't get on line. What do I do.
    Thank you

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy sam35023...

That's a tricky question, if the neighbor's device is causing that much interference on the lines, you may be able to go th the FCC and complain, and make the neighbor filter the device...

Or you may want to goto the local Radio Shack ( if you have one ) and get a few ferrite beads, ( the site explains what they are, and how they work ), and place them around the phone line to the pc to reduce the EMI, or RFI noise on the lines...

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd talk to the neighbor and explain to him the issue. It's his problem, and there are hefty fines for not correcting problems like this.

4. Col.USMC

Col.USMC Guest

sounds like the neighbors fence is putting out to mich juice. I get complaints about my high poered radio equipment. At the old office I actually restarted the computer system by just keying down the mike 50 ft away. Of course i have since tuned it down considerably as do not want to damage others property. I would ask the neighbor if he good reduce the voltage and/or amperage on his fence. Sounds like he is trying to keep a herd of elephants

5. Col.USMC

Col.USMC Guest

Plus check with some your other neighbors (If any) and see if they are having the same trouble.

6. sam35023

sam35023 Thread Starter

I went to Radio shack and got a couple of Ferrite filters, I was going get some Toroids but they were sold out I will get some next time I am in town.
    Thanks

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

By far, the most effective place to combat EMI is at the source. I really think you'll have to get your neighbor involved in this effort to be successful.

It may be as simple as replacing the electric fence control, it sounds like he has one of the antiques that have a coil and a set of points! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice