I can't get the !#%@& computer to search on the web browsers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wilhelmurg

I just started working at a new job and I was given a five year old computer with Windows 95 on it. The problem is that while the computer will allow me to tpye in web addresses, it will not allow me to type in the text boxes on any websites. I would like to reinstall the software, but the CD-Rom doesn't work. The Computer will not support Windows 98. How can I get the computer to allow me to type in the serch boxes in the browsers?

you could always try complaining to the IT guys, but other than that there isn't much you can do.

try downloading a newer version of IE and installing it.

Welcome to TSG wilhelmurg. Have you tried a Repair on Interent Explorer?-this is assuming that you are running IE. To repair: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add\Remove. In the Add\Remove box scroll down and highlight MS Internet Explorer 5\6, click on the Add\Remove button. In the box that pops up choose "Repair Internet Explorer" and click on Ok. Let us know if this helps or not.

Good luck. :) sharon

Hi,
Sometimes in a small outfit, you have to be your own IT guy.
When in IE,
go to help,
then to about,
and see what version you are using.

It would also help to see what version of 95 you're using,
right click on my computer, click on properties.

If the machine is slower than about 100 Mz then 98 would
run too slowly to put up with. If you post the make and
model, someone will know whats best for it.

You could download newer browsers from the web,
but see what you're using first.

Does the floppy drive work OK ?

Regards,
John

wilhelmurg

Thank you for all your help. Once I was able to find the "repair Internet Explorer" (thanks to Sharon's advice), it said it could not be fixed. I search and found a downloadable version of Internet Explorer 5.5 at www.cnet.com/internet/0-3774-7-272552.html and installed it. Now the computer works like a dream. My only problem now is that I'm trying to figure out how to shirk the screen size so I can see the edges of the browser. Any advice?
-Wilhelm

Max19

Account Disabled
Try using the controls on the monitor to adjust the screen size.

wilhelmurg

It's not that the window is past the edge, it's that the screen size, such as Yahoo, or even techguy, is larger than the window, so I have to move back and forth on the vertical bar to see the whole screen. I can't find a way to make it smaller so it will fit.
-Wilhelm

Right-click anywhere on a blank area of the Desktop and choose Properties. On the Settings tab, move the Screen Area bar to the right.

wilhelmurg

Dear Angel;
You are named correctly. Everything is perfect now. Thanks.
-Wilhelm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online