1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I cant get to the online setup page

Discussion in 'Networking' started by walrusmeat_43, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walrusmeat_43

walrusmeat_43 Thread Starter

I have an actiontec gateway router/modem that i have been playing with for a while. I dont have the setup disk anymore, so i have been accessing the online setup just by turning it off and unplugging it. it would always automaticly direct itself to the setup page until i configured it. The problem is that now it doesnt do that anymore and i need to configure it. i tried puting in the standard ip in my windows explorer, and it said that the page couldnt be accessed, and i tried reseting it and trying it again with the same results. is there some other way i can access the configuration or some software i can download for free from somewhere that can help me configure it? i really need to configure this thing, and i am baffelled by the fact that it all of a sudden is not working the way it was before. i did change the ip i think when i was messing with it, but i have factory reset it multiple times.

i really need help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about the exact model of that unit.

What procedure (exactly) did you use to do the factory reset?

Let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

After running IPCONFIG and getting the results, try connecting to the router using the IP address of your gateway.

4. walrusmeat_43

Ya, I'm using a actiontec dsl gateway. the standard ip for it is 192.168.0.1 as far as i have read on other answers to this same problem, but it does not send me to my destination even after multiple resets. I've tried entering the gateway ip but it didn't work and the ip for it is different every time anyway due to the fact that i have cable internet and my ip's are changing at least 3 or 4 times a day. As of now this is how my ipconfig/all page looks (it will change soon, as you see in the lease expires section).

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Grant>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D6CBT451
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wi.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wi.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-FB-C7-64
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.193.70.179
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.193.70.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.77.10
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.77.130
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:49:23 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:08:07 PM

I've tried just about everyting. I reset the router multiple times, but pressing the reset button and holding (for all different incorments of time, from 1 sec to almost a minute) so im sure it has been reset. The diffult ip still does not get me connected.

Further info: I've never used a setup disk for it on this computer, but it still works as a router (this computer is connected to it as i type).
    The only thing i want to change in its configuration is to turn on the wireless connection (which was switched off when i reset it) and change the channel it is broadcasting in.
    It, at one time, used to go to the setup page automaticaly every time i turned it off and unplugged it, but i have tried almost every combo of turning off and on my router and modem and it has yet to send me back to the setup site.

This is actually a very agrivating irony. ive never been this pissed at the fact that my computer is actually functioning properly. the one time i want it to not work it works.....damn

any help from this new info would be awsome
    -grant

p.s. - if anyone knows of a place that i can download the setup software for this product (actiontec 54mbps wireless gateway/modem model number gt704-wg) for free then maybe i would be able to configure it that way....send links if you got them

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It looks like you are posting the Public IP addresses rather than the one given by the actiontec.

Check the connection.

The DSL line should be connected to the WAN or Internet port on the action tec router

The computer should be connected to the Ethernet port on the router

6. JohnWill

It appears that your "router" has been configured for bridge mode, since that's a public IP address you're getting. If it won't factory reset, it's broken. From the manual for your router.
    You should be able to see the lights do the "reset" dance when it's doing the reset process. That should bring it up in router mode with NAT enabled.

7. JohnWill

Uhh... Bob, it's a DSL modem/router, so that would be pretty difficult to screw up and get any kind of connection. ;)

8. walrusmeat_43

well, im kinda cheating. I used to have dsl, and thats why i have the modem/router. But now i have cable so i am trying to just used its routing feature. I have the cat5 that comes from my modem in slot 1 of the ethernet ports and the cat5 from the router to the computer in slot 2. the internet connection runs through it fine, so i think it is working just fine as a router. i no longer have a regular phone line connection to place in the wan port so i am just leaving it empty as of now.

in short:
    wan port = empty
    ethernet slot 1 = internet from modem
    ethernet slot 2 = cat5 to computer

9. JohnWill

You can't use the routing feature of that modem/router with another router.

10. JohnWill

If you want to use the wireless capability, try this configuration. Obviously, this assumes you already have a router, which you apparently don't as of yet.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

11. walrusmeat_43

im fairly certain that the factory reset is working alright because i used to have the wireless connection brodcasting and the wireless led light was blinking constantly and randomly. after reseting it the light is no longer on, like the way it was when i bought it. Im pretty sure that it reset but i could be wrong. could holding the button for reset down too long have any effect? i held it for almost a minute once to make sure that it started the cycle....

12. JohnWill

Yes, you didn't mention that you were not using it as a router.

I'll say it again, you can't use the routing features of that modem/router with a cable modem.

13. walrusmeat_43

if you are refuring to my threads that i started about 2 weeks ago then ditch all thought of those... It didnt work and i was getting very frustrated so i ditched the whole plan and returned the second router i bought.

i was trying to connect a playstation 2, but i was being cheap and didnt want to buy a 100 dollar gaming adaptor. i broke down and bought it, rather then struggling with that other setup i was trying to rig.

now this is how the setup i am trying to create looks:

cable modem -----> wireless/wired router (the actiontec) -------> compter
    (wired) | (wired)
    |
    |(wirelessly)
    |
    |
    V
    Gaming adaptor (linksys wireless G) --------->playstation2

14. walrusmeat_43

using the actiontec as a router is working just fine as I have it. i have it between my computer and my modem right now and my internet connection is working. since it is working with my computer wired, i was assuming it would also work wirelessly if i could turn on the wireless feature of the router and set it to the right channel.

sorry if im seeming to not take your advice, but it's working. i know it sounds like it wouldnt but somehow it is, as far as my limited knowlege can see. I appreciate the help.

15. JohnWill

Well, I truly have no idea what configuration you have now, and it's pretty tough to hit a moving target. If you're happy with what you have, so am I. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice