I cant hear anything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xrated

About 2 days ago, I started hearing a "hizzing" sound from my speakers. The sound would get louder as I turned the volume up. I tried disconnecting my computer speakers and reconnecting them but I would still hear the "hiss". I ignored it and kept on playing my music and etc..

Well, yesterday I turned the computer on and to my surprise, I cant hear anything. Im pretty sure my speakers arent the problem because they look alright to me. Theyre some really good Yamaha speakers I bought bout 1 year ago. Im also sure it has to do with the sound card because of the fact that my computer is a couple of years old. But yea, I dont hear anything from my speakers..no music..nothing. Im assuming its my sound card because my microphone doesnt work either and when I tried connecting some headphones...I couldnt hear squat.

I dont know much bout sound/audio cards. Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix it?

By the way im using Windows XP SP2.
Gateway AMD Athlon Processor
648 mhz 256mb ram

pugmug

Banned
Go to start menu, control panel, system,hardware, device manager,do you see any yellow marks under sounds?

xrated

pugmug said:
Go to start menu, control panel, system,hardware, device manager,do you see any yellow marks under sounds?
I dont see any yellow marks watsoever.

pugmug

Banned
Go to sounds and audio in control panel,click audio,click use default devices if not already clicked.Check other tabs and adjust such as sound tab ,speakers,ect. as needed and get back with us.

pugmug

Banned
OK,turn off puter,unplug,go inside and take out sound card.Look it over for any sign of damage.If not reinstall,reboot puter,if not working sounds like your sound card gave up and needs replacing That is if you have a sound card and not onboard audio.If onboard you have a mobo problem.Get back to us.

can you still hear music tho? i might have had the same problem, i had a hizzing sound when turning up the volume from the speakers, but i went to the computers sound manager and lowered that one to about half, and when i tried raising the volume from the speakers, it was fine

cliffo90 what you have is probably just white noise from over driving the speakers. You didn't say what make/model so not sure if they are cheap ones.

xrated, appears your sound card/on board might be gone since nothing works not even headphones. Assuming its not just an OS option thats off. If its onboard sound on the MoBo just disable it in the BIOS and install a sound card. See if you can borrow a card before buying one just to make sure. Audigy 2 ZS cards are pretty cheap and excellent values.

Sorry, I meant comparatively speaking. When seeing post after post of people getting new video cards at $399, $499 and up its cheap. Considering it will probably be mainstream allot longer too. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!