1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't hear sound. No audio device.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaebuckle, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaebuckle

shaebuckle Thread Starter

I work at a dentist office and we have upgraded to Window XP professional and a new version of our dental software. When we installed the the new window xp professional the speakers were not plugged into the computer. Now I have no sound. I have plugged the speakers up and still no sound and no new hardware is found. In my control panel and (sound and audio device) (volume) there is no audio device. What do I need to do to get sound. Please help.

2. Uba N00b

Uba N00b

sounds like your sound card may not be installed

as far as im aware (not far) speakers do not need to be plugged in when installing windows

if your sound card came with a software disk i would suggest running that...other than that

i know not

hope that helps though

3. Flags

Flags

When you installed XP pro, you were asked to format the drive. If you formatted the drive, you wiped out most, if not all the drivers.
    Go to System Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager. (Just press the Windows key and the Pause/break key together, System Properties will appear).
    Look in Device manager for any yellow ?'s. You need drivers for each device with the ? mark.
    Plugged in speakers (or not) during installation of XP is not a factor.
    You can get the device drivers from the Mobo maker or the PC maker's site.
    You should install Chipset drivers first and then the others.

4. shaebuckle

I have checked my Device Manager and the Multimedia audio controller has the yellow? in it. What is the Mobo maker? I don't know the maker of my computer on the front it says Asus intel pentium 4. So is all I need the driver for the multimediaAudio controller or do I also need the chipset drivers? Sorry I got a little confused.

5. Flags

Flags

Asus is the Mobo (motherboard) maker. Now you need to find the Mobo Model #. You have to take off the side of the PC and look at the Mobo for it.
    You can go to their support site: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us.
    Enter the pertinant information and you can find the driver.
    Good luck.

6. shaebuckle

I have found the serial number and went to the web site of asus. I have also located several drivers. I don't know what to download. I have downloaded 2 of the links and I can't get them to be recognized when I try to put a driver with Multimedia Audio controller. The Multimedia Audio controller is what had a "?", but the only sofware to download is Sis Mini Ide driver or Sound max. What do I download and when I do download how to I get the driver located to my Multimedia Audio Controller. Please Help :eek:

7. Flags

Flags

Download the Sound Max driver. You may have to unzip it, or it may just install itself.
    At the download site, there may be instructions for you to follow in order to install the drivers, but usually it is just a matter of downloading. Installation is automatic.
    After installing the driver, there should be no ? marks in Device Manager.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice