I can't hear sound. No audio device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shaebuckle

I work at a dentist office and we have upgraded to Window XP professional and a new version of our dental software. When we installed the the new window xp professional the speakers were not plugged into the computer. Now I have no sound. I have plugged the speakers up and still no sound and no new hardware is found. In my control panel and (sound and audio device) (volume) there is no audio device. What do I need to do to get sound. Please help.

sounds like your sound card may not be installed

as far as im aware (not far) speakers do not need to be plugged in when installing windows

if your sound card came with a software disk i would suggest running that...other than that

i know not

hope that helps though

When you installed XP pro, you were asked to format the drive. If you formatted the drive, you wiped out most, if not all the drivers.
Go to System Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager. (Just press the Windows key and the Pause/break key together, System Properties will appear).
Look in Device manager for any yellow ?'s. You need drivers for each device with the ? mark.
Plugged in speakers (or not) during installation of XP is not a factor.
You can get the device drivers from the Mobo maker or the PC maker's site.
You should install Chipset drivers first and then the others.

shaebuckle

I have checked my Device Manager and the Multimedia audio controller has the yellow? in it. What is the Mobo maker? I don't know the maker of my computer on the front it says Asus intel pentium 4. So is all I need the driver for the multimediaAudio controller or do I also need the chipset drivers? Sorry I got a little confused.

shaebuckle

I have found the serial number and went to the web site of asus. I have also located several drivers. I don't know what to download. I have downloaded 2 of the links and I can't get them to be recognized when I try to put a driver with Multimedia Audio controller. The Multimedia Audio controller is what had a "?", but the only sofware to download is Sis Mini Ide driver or Sound max. What do I download and when I do download how to I get the driver located to my Multimedia Audio Controller. Please Help :eek:

Download the Sound Max driver. You may have to unzip it, or it may just install itself.
At the download site, there may be instructions for you to follow in order to install the drivers, but usually it is just a matter of downloading. Installation is automatic.
After installing the driver, there should be no ? marks in Device Manager.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online