1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't keep saved files on Damn Small Linux!

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by CokeCanNinja, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CokeCanNinja

CokeCanNinja Thread Starter

I put Damn Small Linux on a USB flash drive, and it works really well. I can save files but after I close the Windows emulator, the files are lost. I haven't lost anything but some test files, but I want to be able to keep the real files I make.

2. saikee

saikee

Think you need to ask the session to be saved. The USB version could be the Live CD format and not a normal installation. In other word you have not install DSL but use it every time as a Live CD.

Changes to files can only be saved automatically if it has been installed.

You can check to see if the USB device has the /boot, /home etc if mounted in another operating system. If you can't find them then the DSL has not been installed.

3. CokeCanNinja

CokeCanNinja Thread Starter

It is supposed to be the USB kind. How do I check for the files you mentioned?

Edit: I found the /boot and /home files. I think I found the problem. I wasn't closing it properly, and as a result it wasn't saving. It told me to go to the control panel and pick a backup device, but there is no "browse" button, which is what I need to find my USB drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!