1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i can't network to my other computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by haswalt, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haswalt

haswalt Thread Starter

i have set up a wireless network using a D-LInk 108g MIMO wireless router and a pci card for the pc with a notebook adapter for my laptop.

All the cards match up and connect to the ADSL line via the router so i know the network is working.

but i can't figure out how to connect the laptop to the pc through the router to share files.

any help would be great as i need to fix this asap.

harry

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

OSes might help to get some specific toutorials. Short of that I can say what you need to do is to 1) disable software firewalls 2) ensure they are on the same workgroup 3) setup what you want to share I.E. files/printers 3) make same user accounts on both PC's 4) reenable the firewalls one at a time and check they are not "breaking the connection" if they do go back and configure each firewall that causes problems to make it so its not blocking your internal traffic.

3. haswalt

haswalt Thread Starter

sorry didn't make myself clear enough.
    it's not that i have a problem getting a network connection, it is that i don't know how to set up a network connection between the two computers via wireless. i can do it wired but there is not setup wizard (that works) for wireless networking i can find.

please help

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Um now you have me confused... hopefully either you can explain it better or someone who understands can explain...

but before you mention -

If your wantintg to file share or print share and your on the network wirelessly already then if your wireless or wired the steps are exactly the same so this is why I am confused.

5. haswalt

haswalt Thread Starter

ok i confused you i can tell why.

basically i have set up the wireless network as instructed by the manual. i have access to my broadband services on both a laptop and pc via wireless adapters.
    these work fine for braodband.

now i need to share files!!

i tried to do the windows wireless netwoprk setup wizard, but this could not complete as it told me another program had stopped it (the D-Link wireless software). i performed a standard network setup wizard just to see if that would give me access to the other computers.

i have no firewall or encryption running at the moment yet i can't connect to the other comps via my network connections/places. other than that i am not sure what to do to get the two computers to comunicate.

harry

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    " i performed a standard network setup wizard ..."

Does this mean that you ran the Network Setup Wizard (found in Control Panel), choose the "residential gateway" internet option and enabled file and printer sharing? If so, you should be good to go.

On each computer, open a command window and ping the other computer by IP address and then by computer name. Get responses? If so ...

Go into My Network Places and 'view workgroup computers.' What shows? It can take 20 minutes or longer with a stable network/workgroup before all computers properly show up.

7. haswalt

haswalt Thread Starter

thank you i will try that

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice