1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't open any .exe files

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sccr352, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

Please Help! I can't open any .exe files! I am still dealing with the aftermath of a virus and it is preventing me from downloading any files except zip files! I am getting really frustrated and ANY help in getting around this issue would be AMAZING!:eek:

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What version of Windows are you using?

3. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

Xp.....

4. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

I am using Mozilla, and when I Click links to start the download, the Mozilla Download window pops up, but the file I want to download has been cancelled. I click the restart (circle arrow icon) and the item downloads really quickly! I right click on the specific file and I can't open it! I have looked in the the Downloads folder, but it is not there. I have even checked for hidden files in the download folder, with no luck. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

5. Cheeseball81

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "Merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Let me know if that works, then we should check if any viruses are still lurking.

6. sccr352

sccr352 Thread Starter

I clicked the link, and it opened the reg fix in a new window, but how do I save it?? I can copy the page, or I can save page as (text doc only). Once I figure out how to save it, do I just save it to my C drive?? Is that what you mean by hard disk?? Is there a more specific process to save this file to my hard disk???

Thank You

7. Cheeseball81

You don't get a Run or Save option when you click on the number 12?

Try it this way: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double click it to Merge it to the registry.

Reboot your PC.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

8. Cheeseball81

Haven't heard anything in a few days, are you still having problems with this?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice