I can't start my PC after installing Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Abie2

I have 2 hd's and dual OS, win7 and now win 10, each on seperate hd's. I then connected my win 7 hd, which i had disconnected it in order to install win 10. Then i went to the Bios to try and remove my usb boot up driver, and i just could,'t find this time, so i checked the csm compatilbility module and set it at Auto. I took a stab at it thinking it would override my usb boot.,then i started the computer and nothing appeared, this was after i had reconnected my win 7 hd. I cannot get into bios, to undo what i did. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Abie2

Are you able to get into Win 10 ?
Neither one..win 7 or win 10. I tried to run my Asus motherboard disc and the pc doesn't see it. Don't i have to set Bios up in order to boot to either OS, or the disc? I can't get bios to run

Is this a brand name desktop or a custom built one? If brand name, please provide model and serial # or services tag #. Lets see if we can dig up a manual that documents how to get into BIOS.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you disconnect the Windows 7 drive and then restart the PC, does it allow Windows 10 to load?

-------------------------------------------------

Abie2

Is this a brand name desktop or a custom built one? If brand name, please provide model and serial # or services tag #. Lets see if we can dig up a manual that documents how to get into BIOS.
I am writing these posts on my Acer notebook, that is why i couldn't do the utility u ask for My problem is with my custom build desktop....Am i suppose to be able to run a OS even if the bios is unattainable?

Abie2

I haven'tried that....I will try tomorrow...its late here. TY

Abie2

If you disconnect the Windows 7 drive and then restart the PC, does it allow Windows 10 to load?

-------------------------------------------------
Sorry, late or not, i disconnected win 7 and win 10 did not come on. I messed around with the Bios CMS controller, i think Win 10 installation went smoothly. Again, with Bios unattainable, was I able to start at least one of my OS?

Since your Win 10 is newly installed, there would be no data to risk losing. try re-installing Win 10 with the CMS at auto.

Abie2

Since your Win 10 is newly installed, there would be no data to risk losing. try re-installing Win 10 with the CMS at auto.
Right now i am more interested in getting my win 7 to open . i still like to know if a corrupted Bios could prevent me from me opening any OS

crjdriver

Right now i am more interested in getting my win 7 to open . i still like to know if a corrupted Bios could prevent me from me opening any OS
To answer your question, yes IF the area of the bios dealing with drive detection was corrupted. With that said, I HIGHLY doubt your bios is corrupted since you can enter the bios.
When you enter the bios, are these drives visible ie does the bios see the drive or drives?

Abie2

I'm sorry..can u show me where i said i am able to get into my bios? the entire gist of this thread was that i must have screwed up my Bios, cause i cannot get into the bios. ...and another party suggested that i reinstall win 10....sometimes i wonder if people read the thread through...how can i reinstall win 10 with the bios screwed up and would not be able to boot from my bootable usb drive? Sorry, i appreciate the suggestions, but please read thread from the first OP

crjdriver

You posted;
I'm sorry..can u show me where i said i am able to get into my bios?
so i checked the csm compatilbility module and set it at Auto
CSM is part of the bios. If you were able to change that setting, you were in the bios.

Last edited:

Abie2

You posted;

CSM is part of the bios. If you were able to change that setting, you were in the bios.
Yes, but that was the cause of me not able to get back in as of my OP. It was after i had set the csm to auto.

crjdriver

Then simply clear cmos. How to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
3 Open the side cover and clear cmos with the clear pins. Modern motherboards use just two pins that you short for at least 10 seconds. Old stuff uses three pins and a jumper that you move for at least 10 seconds
4 Replace side cover and pw cord. Attempt to pw ON and enter the bios. If you still cannot enter the bios, try another keyboard. Still does not work, then the motherboard has probably failed or you have some other hardware failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online