1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't turn on my old PS3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge2012, Jan 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi,

I didn't use my PS3 for a while and today I want to turn it on but I can't... I press "start" and the light turns green, nothing appears on my tv screen and a few seconds later it turns red and keeps flashing.

Thanks for your help.

Serge

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    According to SONY, that is a overheating issue. Make sure the vents are not blocked and if possible use can air to clear the vents. If it doesn't work it would need to be taken in for service.

3. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did some research earlier on the web and I saw people using hair dryers to clean the vents so I think I will try that. I don't want to bring it for service because it's not worth, it's an old Fat model and it would cost more than buying a new one... I'll tell tomorrow if it worked or not.

4. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Couriant,

I opened the PS3 and cleaned the vents and other components. However I had the same issues when I started the PS3 again but after a while and a system restore I was able to load the main screen. Now I'm doing a backup of all my data just in case something happens again. I don't know if I will be able to turn it back on again if we'll see...

Serge

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    hmm.. maybe a bad software update... or just old components failing. Good job with the back up - at least you can transfer it back if you get a new one.

6. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Well, it seems that I'm able to turn it off and back on now without any issues. However I was not able to run a back up, it got stuck on "preparing please wait" for 30 minutes... Now I'm working on the recovery menu and try to rebuild batches and checking other stuff.

7. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

I meant "rebuild database", sorry!

8. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Couriant,

Well, I tried again to turn on my Fat PS3 this morning and I had the same issues again, it turned off a after a few seconds... Now I was able to keep it running and it is doing another file system restore. What do you think is wrong with it? I know a few years ago I bought a new blu ray drive and replaced it by myself as the other one was broke. If I knew which piece of electronic I have to replace I would do the same thing but I don't know which one... Thanks for your help.

Serge

9. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Couriant,

Well, It seems that I will be able at least to backup my data on external drive but I have close to 500GB to backup and I heard it can take hours and hours to do that... I'm waiting for a new external drive to do that but I also tried in the meantime to connect the drive from my PS3 to my laptop to view all my files but it doesn't recognize it...

Serge

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice