1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can't update my Nvidia graphics card drivers and software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Holly3278, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I was trying to update my Nvidia graphics card driver and other software using Windows Update but it keeps failing. I used the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it made some changes but it did not fix my problem. I was trying to fix the problem using the Microsoft help site but I was getting confused so I am going to need additional one-on-one help. So anyway, these are the two updates I am trying to install:

NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 9100

nVidia - Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 9100

I keep getting the following message from Windows Update:

Some updates didn't finish downloading. We'll keep trying.

Error code: (0x80246007)

I have been having problems installing these updates for several days now. I believe it was telling me before that only part of the update got downloaded or a file was corrupted or something but my memory isn't too great right now. That was before I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool.

So anyway, I'd greatly appreciate some help in updating my drivers.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why are you trying to update the driver through Windows Update?
    You should obtain the driver from the NVIDIA driver downloads site.

If the graphic device in your computer(which you didn't describe) is indeed a NVIDIA GeForce 9100, we need to know which Windows version(XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10) and bit number(32, 64) is running in it so we can locate the correct driver for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Oh alright. I didn't realize it was a bad idea to obtain the driver from Windows Update. I am running Windows 10 64 bit.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver(342.01) for the NVIDIA GeForce 9100 graphic device.
    Download and save the driver, then close all open windows.
    Double-click the saved driver to start the install process.
    If there are no compatibility issues, you'll be given the choice of doing an "express" install or a "custom" install.
    Select the "custom" install, then uncheck the extras that you don't need installed with the display/graphic driver, then start the install process.
    If all goes well, restart the computer afterwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Thank you. Right now I am in the process of downloading the drivers and will be installing them momentarily. I will let you know if I have problems. Otherwise I will mark the thread solved when I am finished.

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Alright, the installer failed. What do I do next?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

List ALL of your exact hardware specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, exact ram, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag# [if you have a service tag#]

9. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Alright, I use a utility from Piriform called Speccy to get the specifications you need. Here is the text file I created with the program that contains all of the specification information you need.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you did not read my post correctly. You have a big box system ie hp. You need to list the exact model#
    Next is appears [however no one knows for sure until you post your exact model#] that you have onboard video. At least the motherboard specs list a nvidia onboard 9100 chip.
    You need to download the video driver from hp and not windows update or nvidia.

I deleted your file because it showed your windows install key.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice