Solved I Can't Use My Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LukeL732

I don't know what's wrong with my computer but whenever i start it up it'll just load forever and never actually load anything. I've tried to just reset it and wipe everything but it always stopps at some point during the process and says it can't reset because it ran into a problem. I don't know what to do.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I hope you've got a backup of everything that's important to you because it sounds like the drive is going south. Have you got access to another PC? You can download the drive manufacturer's diagnostics from their web site.

What kind of computer are you having problems with? Is it a brand name system (Dell. HP, Lenovo, etc.) or "homemade" from components you've selected?

LukeL732

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I hope you've got a backup of everything that's important to you because it sounds like the drive is going south. Have you got access to another PC? You can download the drive manufacturer's diagnostics from their web site.

What kind of computer are you having problems with? Is it a brand name system (Dell. HP, Lenovo, etc.) or "homemade" from components you've selected?
Fortunately there is nothing on my pc that can’t be redownloaded. My pc is an Ibuypower prebuilt running on windows (10 I think) The only other computer I have access to is a chrome book and it doesn’t run on windows.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How old is that system?

I don't believe it will have built-in diagnostics. Most options from here will pretty much require the use of another Windows PC to create the bootable diagnostics drive and/or the Windows Media bootable drive to attempt to reinstall Windows.

LukeL732

How old is that system?

I don't believe it will have built-in diagnostics. Most options from here will pretty much require the use of another Windows PC to create the bootable diagnostics drive and/or the Windows Media bootable drive to attempt to reinstall Windows.
It’s from 2018 I believe. And if it’s a problem with the drive can I just replace it?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
And if it’s a problem with the drive can I just replace it?
I would test it first, but if it needs to be replaced, you can certainly do that. I hope you've got all your important files backed up somewhere already.

LukeL732

I would test it first, but if it needs to be replaced, you can certainly do that. I hope you've got all your important files backed up somewhere already.
Yeah I pretty much only use it to play video games and I can just redownload those. So if I borrowed my roommates computer how would I go about testing it?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Download the diagnostics from the drive manufacturer's web site and make a bootable USB flashdrive.

LukeL732

Download the diagnostics from the drive manufacturer's web site and make a bootable USB flashdrive.
I’m having a hard time finding the right thing to download. And also what do I do with the usb once it’s downloaded? Plug it into my computer and try to start it again? 790E7B35-BD73-4998-ADA5-FC93A1B28292.jpeg

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I found this link. Haven't tried the software. If it creates a bootable USB flashdrive, you'd boot your old system (with the HDD installed) using that drive you created.

The drive being almost 5 years old is very possibly at fault.

LukeL732

I found this link. Haven't tried the software. If it creates a bootable USB flashdrive, you'd boot your old system (with the HDD installed) using that drive you created.

Awesome I will

Awesome I’ll try that but if I need to replace it would you be able to suggest a good affordable replacement?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can replace it with just about anything, even an SSD, though they are a bit more expensive.

LukeL732

You can replace it with just about anything, even an SSD, though they are a bit more expensive.
Well the harddrive appeared to be the issue so i replaced it. However I'm still having an issue booting it up. It says there's no bootable device. I've tried a few things but can't figure it out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online