1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I changed ADSL setting to VDSL2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TGFL.Strawberet, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TGFL.Strawberet

TGFL.Strawberet Thread Starter

So this is kinda a long story.. but i'm gonna get right to the point. I got scheduled a technician to come out butthe soonest they couldget onetop my houseis Monday. So started to mess with settings on my modem. Well i went to the broadband settings page and changed "adsl-adsl2+bonded" to "vdsl2 + bonded" just to see what would happen..and well I guess that was a bad idea because now my internet is now not working. And I can't get back into the modem settings cause i am not connected to internet.

I tried to do a hard reset on my modem by holding down the red reset button for 60 seconds then unplugging the power but nothing still. What can I do?

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    ADSL - Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line
    VDSL - Very high-bit rate Digital Subscriber Line

Two distinctly different forms of DSL.
    ADSL is used when you are miles away from a DSLAM. Because it is a twisted pair transmission line, speed is a function of distance.
    VDSL is used in places like apartment buildings where FTTP or Cable is brought into the building and a DSLAM is placed in that building and the ISP takes advantage of the POTS already installed. Since the distance from the DSLAM to the DSL modem is relatively short, high speed broadband can be accomplished. Thus the communication protocols and carrier frequencies are different even though they both use Quadrature Amplitude Modulation ( QAM ).

If you did a hard reset it brought the DSL modem back to it factory state. Which may default to ADSL but ADSL uses PPPoE and account authentication. That was lost when the Modem was reset. It has to be re-programed with your Account Name and Password to work again.

What is the Make and Model of the DSL Modem ?

3. TGFL.Strawberet

C1900A centrylink modem

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  5. TGFL.Strawberet

How do I connect directly to my modem..do I just use a ethernet cable and plug into lan/wan port or do I plug in to one of the 4 ethernet ports..

Also thank you so much for responding to my question

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Yes. Ethernet cable from PC to one of the Yellow LAN ports.

[​IMG]

7. TGFL.Strawberet

I wanted to thank you so much for helping me out and responding to my forum. After searching for my house or some sort of computer that has been broken down and peace the back together with the keyboard mouse and scream I was able to connect to my modem login to my modem with the IP address and go back to the setting that I changed in the first place and change it back it took a while to reconnect but eventually reconnected and hopefully I don't make the same mistake in the future

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!