1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I changed my graphics card and now my PC won't boot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexc121, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexc121

Alexc121 Thread Starter

I unplugged my Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 graphics card and plugged in my new Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti. Now my PC won't boot. Using Windows 10.

The CPU, PSU and GPU fans all starts, the power light comes on with the HDD light which flashes a little, green DVD light comes on and off then after 1-5 seconds the system shuts off. A few seconds later the system turns back on and this repeats over and over untill I press and hold the power button to turn it off.

I have tried turning it on with the old graphics card plugged back in and with no graphics card plugged in. It does the same.

I didn't uninstall drivers before unplugging the old graphics card as I thought with it being NVIDIA I didn't need to. Surely this is not the cause as it would work with the old card in still right?

What can I try to get this working? Have I somehow broken my motherboard or shorted something? The only things I think I touched were the wires to move them out of the way, the clip to get the card out and of course the graphics cards.

Any help solving this issue would be much appreciated. I am happy to provide further information if needed.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Does the new GPU require an extra power cable...either a 6/8 pin? Did you ground yourself or use a anti-static wrist band before going inside the case?

Your issue is indicative of ESD (electro-static discharge), where it fried part of mobo and or CPU. You can try resetting the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery out for 5 minutes and then hold the start button down for 15 to 20 seconds to fully discharge the system. After 5 minutes, reinstall battery and try to boot up.

Yes...please provide all your system hardware; brand/make/model for each piece of hardware.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If you can get it to post, there's a good chance to get it up and running.

4. Alexc121

Alexc121 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I managed to fix this. I think I caused the issue by not uninstalling the drivers before changing the hardware.

It turns all I needed to do was to take out the RAM and put it back in again then power up. After doing that I got a screen that said the BIOS was corrupted, restoring BIOS settings from backup. After this my PC booted up fine and I was able to install the new drivers. I guess taking out the RAM triggered the BIOS settings to restore somehow.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drivers had nothing to do with your no POST problem. Drivers are not loaded until windows boots. Without drivers, the motherboard should still complete POST and you should be able to enter the bios.
    A more likely explanation is that you knocked something loose while in the case or as outlined above possible ESD.

For future reference, here is how to properly install a video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go to the support site of your card ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver for your card. Do not attempt to use a driver on a support disk; it is almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull out the old card. Install the new card and make any necessary pw connections
    4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Now reboot when promted

Done.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice