1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I could cry: Keyboard Malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valerierae, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valerierae

valerierae Thread Starter

So last night I was having a good time playing Sims 3 when all of a sudden BAM! About 7 notices about these darn sticky keys pop up. I was freaked out that somehow I got a Virus so I ran my Norton and like I expected since its on all the time, nothing showed up. After dealing with the constant pop ups I bit the bullet and clicked the link to the Ease of Access Center. I clicked off everything, and clicked the 'set up' links which brought me to more advanced sticky keys setup. I made sure everything was off and rebooted my laptop.
    It was awesome. For 2 seconds. Then the same process happened for filter keys.
    After going through this process at least a dozen times -seriously- I then unplugged my power source, turned the computer off, took out the battery...let it sit for a while...then put the battery back in, restarted and plugged in the power.
    For nothing. It was still the same story. With a twist now though. Now the numbers and the row beneath are either joined together (press e, get 3e etc) that is, if they work, and the remainder of the letters capitlize sporadically. And sometimes after a reboot the keyboard just doesnt work.
    Why oh why is this happening? Can someone PLEASE help me? I'm close to tears...or violence.
    I have an HP Pavillion (about 1 year old, have no clue what the model type is outside of Pavillion Entertainment) with Vista Home Premium on it. I used to wonder why people hated Vista. Lately I know too well. Last month my mouse/USB ports became unrecognizable. The only thing I've found to fix it (after sbuying new mouse to see if that was the problem. As in plural) is a hard shut down. Now its this.

2. valerierae

Oh! I cant believe I forgot this part. My mouse is acting weird too. It wont let me scroll properly, it instead acts like I pressed Back. :(

3. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Press the Shift key five times to toggle Stick Keys On or Off.

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  5. valerierae

Before I give that a try can I ask you what my sticky - filter key settings should be, or does that not matter? I've tried all sorts of shift pressing but ultimately go through the ease of access center to ensure everything is clicked off (no boxes checked).
    And nope, Ive actually never done a disk cleanup so I'll start with that. I do have a HP maintenance program that runs every Sunday so maybe thats been taking care of it.
    I gots lots of ram left

6. valerierae

All the numbers on the keyboard come out as their symbols...thought that might be another clue

7. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  8. valerierae

Me too :D I tried the shift tip but it didnt work :(
    Either has fn+num, scroll, both shifts at the same time, standing on one leg while touching my nose and pressing shift

9. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    A good sense of humor is a wonderful thing when dealing with pc's. lol You could try running System File Check . Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow ( make sure to leave a space between sfc and /scannow)
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 ( You may be asked for your Vista installation cd so have it handy )

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice