1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I could just scream

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chewie1012, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have a home network. Three computers that run through a router. two desktops and a laptop. The laptop has xp and an integrated network card. I ran the cable myself and put the ends on myself. I believe they were on good and I have been able to surf the web and share files fine. Just a few minutes ago all of a sudden I get a little icon on the bottom of my screen that says network connection unplugged. Well I double checked the cable and it was plugged in. I took the computer to the router where I have a shorter store bought cable plugged in and connected it to my laptop and I am connected. I moved the cables around to different locations and nothing will work. I clipped the end off my laptop and put on a new one and it wont work. So its not the cable and its not the router. How could a perfectly fine connection all of a sudden not work. This problem has driven me insane. Normally I am very patient. When I bring the computer in my bedroom and plug it in it connets right away. In the living room where I ran the cord nothing now and yet I have had a good fast connection in their for a couple of weeks. Please help. I was looking forward to using my laptop tommorow. It doesn't make sense that it would be the network cable because it was just fine a little while ago and its not the computer because I am typing on it right now

2. rugrat

rugrat

chewie, definately a cable issue. Did you replace the end that goes to the router? Also does the cable run through an area where it may have been damaged somewhere other than the ends. Like maybe a cat had some cat5 cable for lunch LOL.
    Hope you get it fixed.

SeeYa

3. Raphael

Raphael

Can you move one of your desktops and see if the cable will work?? You could also buy a network tester.
    Do you have a jack? It might be the cable, it might have been shorted someplace, or the jack might have become loose.

4. chewie1012

I replaced both ends I believe and the cable runs through the basement and hasn't been touched in a couple of weeks. It is so weird because one minute I am sitting in my recliner surfing the net and the next minute the network icon says unplugged. I had another cable and some more ends and installed them and couldn't get the ends right and couldn't get a connection. I am going to take the wire in tommorow to a networking guy and ask him to look at it. If the stores would have been open today I would have just bought a store bought cable with the ends on permanently and been done with it. This has been the weirdest thing. As for moving a desktop I don't think the ends are on right now as I can't get a connection. It would be a major pain in the rear end to set all that up where my network cable comes to my laptop. I am going to remove the cable from the basement and bring it to my desktop and see if it works. The laptop works fine on the shorter cable with the store bought end. Thanks for answering my post.
    Jerry

5. Raphael

Raphael

It is possible that the wire got shorted somewhere in the middle. You could try checking the corners, or places where things might be on top of it.

6. chewie1012

I bought a new cable and my problems are solved. Mark this one solved. Something really weird happened though. My user name was lost. I went to log in and I wasn't listed. I had to reregister.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice