Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I delete files and "free space" doesn't change

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rude 
#1 ·
I'm running Win2000 and have Norton Systemworks. The computer's never had Internet, and I never, ever buy pirated software, so I don't think it's a virus. C-drive is (I think) 40 G. D-drive is 120 G. These are 2 physical disks.

I noticed awhile back whenever I delete a large video file (sometimes 7 or 8 gig, sometimes larger), the space that should be recovered does not show up in free space. Running Norton's defrag took quite awhile and did not fix the problem.

I tried emptying Recycle Bin, emptying Norton recycle, and no avail. The problem occurs when I delete the file in Windows Explorer, or if I go out into DOS and delete, it's the same. Also if I do the shift-delete (to avoid the Recycle Bin), same. Any of these three approaches yields the same result.

Now, just to show you how smart I am, I went and put some video files on the C-drive. When C-drive filled up (and that sure didn't take long), I copied them to D-drive and deleted two files, totaling nearly 20 gig. Guess what. Same problem. Now, C-drive shows only like 200+ Mb free, although it should have about 20 G.

I tried to run defrag (actually Norton's version), but it says there's not enough free space. Well, duhhh.

H - E - L - P ! How can I recover my free space without reformating? And what should I do next time I delete a large file, so this problem won't resurface.

Any help would be genuinely apreciated.

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
You could check System Restore to see if it is saving copies of the videos or is it possible that some other program is saving backup copies of all your files.

System Restore,by the way is set by default to use 12% of your harddrive for restore points.

#3 ·
Rude:

Thanks for answering. Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I travel from Hong Kong to China and back every week (my family's there) and sometimes think I've got bus lag.

Anyway, I must show my ignorance by admitting I don't know how to access System Restore. So I can't really check to see if it's hogging space.

I suspect, though, that isn't the problem. The computer shows 233 meg free on C-drive. I then delete a large file using the Windows Explorer screen. The system warns me the file is too big for recycle bin, delete anyway? I say yes. Afterward, the large file is apparently gone. C-drive still shows 233 meg free.

Attempt number two. I delete another large file using the same screen. However, this time I press Shift-Delete (to avoid the too-big warning and skip the recycle bin altogether). This second deleted file, sure enough, is gone. Checking C-drive, it's still 233 meg.

Attempt number three. I go out to the dos screen, navigate to the appropriate directory, and ax another large file, using simple del command. Checking it, the file is gone. Back to Windows and, guess what. 233 meg free.

This has happened to me before on other computers, but only when deleting very large files. Or maybe that's wrong. Maybe if it happens with smaller files I just wouldn't notice. Honestly, I'm not sure about that one.

The solution? I copy the remaining, desired files over somewhere and reformat the drive, then copy them back. I've done that twice with the D-drive. C-drive, of course, would be much more difficult.

Get me through this one, and I would be willing to agree never to put another 7- or 13-gig video file on the C. Aw, that's not really true. Put me in a bind and I'd probably revert to my old ways.

Anyway . . .

Help!

#4 ·
Try this,go to Folder Options/View and put a check in "Display contents of system folders",now select"Show hidden files and folders",now scroll down to"Hide protected operating system files" and uncheck it.

Now go to Search,don't type anything,just click the search button.This will list every file on your computer.If you see a file you know for sure you have deleted, right click on it and select open containing folder.See what happens if you delete from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.