1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Deleted my External Hard Drive Icon- and now it's slow!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grimpel, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimpel

Grimpel Thread Starter

while organizing my pictures, i hit upon the idea of deleting all photos under 100k since i was having trouble with way to many pictures and was trying to organize them.

Seems i deleted in those images the Icon of my external hard drive (Western digital 500gb). The drive SEEMS to me to be much slowwwer since then- but i see no way to change the icon under properties (as you can for a folder.)

so, my question is:

how do i fix this slowness issue? and do you think that the icon deletion is in fact what caused it? i now get a slow, haning external (although it comes around eventually...)

(i don't care so much for the fact that my icon is gone if that's not causing the problem.)

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't see deleting the icon as the cause.

I'd be more worried it has an error, right click on the drive and go to Properties and Tools to run a Disk Scan on it, make sure to check the box to scan and fix errors too.

You can also check the drive for a hardware failure with the WD diagnostics: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=3

And try something as simple as plugging it into a different USB port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice