1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Deleted my "User's Folder"

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by abuczkowski, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuczkowski

abuczkowski Thread Starter

Hey, so in an attempt to free up space on one of my drives, I attempted to transfer the file / copy it to another drive and then delete the original to clear up space. I thought everything had worked successfully until everything began disappearing. I've been using various programs in order to recover the folder in its entirety, however, without spending big bucks - there seems to be no way.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

PS - I have used the recuva program but there is way to many things for me to recover to my USB.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The best price point USB key nowadays is 64 Gigs. Is that enough storage ?

3. draceplace

draceplace

The 'User' folder should rebuild (without data) on next login. You probably know that. As fare as the data goes
    1. If you moved/copy to another drive is data there?
    2. you can look in Recycle bin and hope its there.
    3. A restore could set it back if you have set restore points over time, else its factory setting. Its a system restore not a data restore.
    4. Recovery software is not that expensive (neither is good back up software).
    5. Recuva (I haven't used) These products are similar with minor differences should be pointed at your computer drive not the USB memory stick.
    6. Do a real back up somewhere immediatly. I bought a 2TB external HD and use the 'Total Media Backup' software that came with it. Works great.
    7. If you feel you don't have all the knowledge. Learn more\Find someone to help you. This is a physical operation hard to type up instructions in a thread. Might be a video available?

On Recovery software. Quit using this PC now, you could write over delete data. I've used Getdataback I think its free, may have to pay to get data on others. Seems I paid for another one when I was working somewhere.. Software will let you see if its going to work before paying. I wouldn't pay more than 40-50.

Don't use the same account as lost data account when recovering. Preferably use a different PC and map to the drive on the offender.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!