I Destroyed My Daughter's Computer(It's Inoperable) - Help Please !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aquawoman753

This all started when my daughter was unable to access the Internet. I brought her computer to my house, and started trying to solve this problem. Anyway, after a month of trying, and uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 98SE, I had this "bright idea" of formatting the hard drive....which I did, no problem.

Then in my haste, and seeing about the dog, and the cats and other interruptions that were going on, I put in the "startup disk", and erased it. Now, her computer is inoperable, and I've been trying to fix it for the past 3 months.

I made a "startup disk" from my computer which has Windows ME - that didn't work. I thought of putting the two computers together and transferring info from mine to hers - haven't done it yet. I tried just about everything I could think of, short of buying her another computer, since it was my fault. Then I found this website, and thought I'd see if someone could help me get my daughter's computer operable again, so I can give it to her, and never, ever touch it again.......smile !!:( :(

Hi aquawoman753

It probably would have been better to post this under windows98. Maybe you can get one of the mods to move it there. Do you have a cd with windows 98 or a recovery disk that came with your computer? I would suggest staying with windows 98. You can get a startup disk from here.
http://www.bootdisk.com

Download the file you need to a working computer and run it on that computer. It should create a floppy disk that you can use to setup your windows98 computer. If you just have a windows 98 cd, you will also need the correct drivers for your modem, and video board.

Actually, try the bootdisks from http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml as it is a lot easier to find what you need there.

Did you actually complete the format of the harddrive? What do you mean by inoperable? Does it turn on and give you an error message?

What were the problems that you were experiencing with the problems earlier, that prompted you to reinstall windows, and finally do a format? Are you sure that the hardware ion your system is operating correctly?

There's loads of questions that can be asked, but if you can come back with more details about the actual problems you are experiencing, perhaps we can be more useful to you.

Simple point of fact is if you turn the computer on, and nothing happens, then no amount of bootdisks are going to help, and it is more than likely a faulty component, such as Hard drive, memory, power supply, or processor that has caused the probs. Heck, it could even be a loose connection at this stage.

Provide some more info so we can help a little bit more.

If the system does start, describe the entire boot cycle that you see, or hear.

I tried that link, Randy, but the opage doesn't download any of the boot disks (I use Netscape 4.7)...what's the deal???

Just to clarify a few things for you Agua. You need to have the Bios set to boot from Floppy first. Put in a Win 98 BootDisk Reboot the PC
That should give you a command prompt. Then Change to the Dir that is the CDROM drive
Type in setup ex. d:\setup
Some time you may have to type in Win98
Also at the A: prompt you may need to type this ex. A:\run D:\

Where D: in both of these represent the CDRoM Drive letter.
Once you get setup to Run it should install pretty much by itself.

aquawoman753

:) ;) :) Thank you "Lurker 1", "Randy G", "Bryan", Matrik X", and "Dan Mc"....thank you all for your GREAT assistance.

Bootdisk.com had what I needed, which was to restore DOS, and now my daughter's computer is up and running now. Though I thought it would fix the ORIGINAL problem, it doesn't. The original problem was my daughter wasn't able to connect to the Internet anymore, and I was trying to find the cause.

I'm still trying to find the cause of why her modem cannot be detected, is there a modem, and if so where??? She has this CD called " Modem Driver CD for Windows 95/98/2000, Nt Communicate Software" which is suppose to have her modem on there....the CD says to press F2 for the 56K Modem......I've tried pressing F2 with no results - nothing changes. I've tried using this CD since 3am this morning with no results, and now her computer during "booting" is saying that the file "VMM32" is missing..... The computer does finish booting, but where is this file, and why is it missing, and how did it come up missing?

But my main concern, right now, is finding this modem so she can get back on the Internet...no sense in paying for Internet services, and can't use it:(

aquawoman753

Thank you "Huon" for the link. The procedure did not locate the file, so I reinstalled Windows 98SE.:)

Oh, so you can help me with the modem too? GREAT !! I am at my "wit's end" trying to find it on the computer, trying to use this cd that's suppose to have one on there, along with a lot of other programs, and loosing much needed sleep :(

So if you can help me with this modem issue, please know that it is greatly appreciated.:) ;) :)

I am a little confused. A modem is a piece of hardware. Does she have one. Since you on on the board you may have one if you use dial-up rather than cable/dsl to log on the net. Excuse me if I become too simple. Peoples' knowledge varies. On the back of the computer there are pieces of shiny metal with various things on them called brackets.
If you have dial-up on your computer You will have a telephone wire connected to a bracket with two phone jacks on it. Does her computer have such a bracket. If so she has a modem. Who made the CD?

I take it the reinstall gives you a normal boot.
That should also have taken care of the missing modem I hope.
Have you tried to connect using Dial Up Networking yet?
If you go to control panel and double click the Modem icon, does anything show up?

edit: I take it that your daughter was originally on the net and then something happened to ths connection.

aquawoman753

"Huon", yes my daughter was originally on the net, and then something happened, and there's no modem. The reinstall of Win98SE, I thought, would have have taken care of the missing modem. Believe me, I've tried just about everything.

I've gone to the Control Panel, and clicked "Modem" so many times - nothing shows up, except "Install New Modem", and I've done that a thousand times, and none of them work. I've even unchecked "Don't detect my modem, I'll select it." - nothing. On the Win98SE CD, under drivers, modems, etc.... I've tried everything, even in the Troubleshooting section for modems, etc..., and nothing, nothing, nothing. On this "Communications" cd, I've tried those listed - nothing, nothing, nothing.

In Control Panel - System - Device Manager, the device/word "Modem" is not listed. It is only listed after I've gone through the previous procedures, and then the device is listed with the modem, and the modem does not work.

It is a dial-up connection....and I've checked the phone line..everything's working fine because I'm using MY computer:)

The only thing I haven't tried is the "Dial Up Networking", and if this doesn't work, then that's it #[email protected]!#$&^%*&(#@! :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd suggest you find out what make/model of modem is actually installed in the computer as a start! Then, you can find the drivers and/or configuration instructions to be able to get it working. I'm somewhat surprised that it's not seen by Windows, which leads me to believe it's died.

FWIW, there's single 56k modems for as little as $10 on Pricewatch, complete with drivers, so spending a month looking for this modem has probably been a big waste of time. :)

You're going to have to open the computer case, find out exactly what modem she has, and download / install the drivers for it.

it's probably an ISA modem if Windows won't find it.

Do you have the skills to physically remove the modem from her computer?
Make sure it's off and unplugged.

I am afraid that given the reinstall, and that the modem WAS working previously, it is probably a harware issue as others have suggested. This does mean opening the case, and identifying the modem, and at least reseating it, or replacing it. Are you comfortable with that? The cost of a replacement modem is probably fairly small, and it really is not a difficult task if you are careful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online