1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I did a System Restore...now my computer is unable to boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by erindonnelly, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erindonnelly

erindonnelly Thread Starter

I am currently using a Compaq with Windows XP and Service Pack 2. I was using my computer this morning with no problems, when I came across a malicious site that installed a program known as Antimalware doctor. Recognizing this as a virus, I figured a System Restore would be the easiest way to rid my system of the malware. I did a System Restore, picking a date that was two days previous. When my computer restarted in order to perform the system restore it could not boot. Now I am unable to boot my computer, even in safe mode. I'm stumped as to why it would do this - any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It won't help you to lecture on the need to keep Windows up to date but I'm going to do it anyway for the benefit of other readers.

If you'd had Service Pack 3, you would have had the additional protection of the latest MSRT from Microsoft and although it may not have prevented this threat, it might have helped keep the system running long enough to clean it.

You now need to use your XP CD to run a Repair install - the second of two repair options you'll see when the setup process completes. Then you'll have a working system but the old one, complete with malware, will still be there in the background so you'll to run scans in Safe Mode.

To find out more, click to report your thread to the Moderators and ask them to move it to the Malware section where the qualified advisers can tell you what to use and how to use it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice