I did something with msconfig now wont boot

Atm321

so I maxed my RAM in msconfig but now it wont boot, i thought it would make my pc faster but now it keeps giving stop codes of “MEMORY_MANAGEMENT” i really dont know what to do

Do you know how to get to command prompt when you can't boot?

Boot from a Win 10 Install USB, and choose repair to get to recovery mode.
-or-
Power on and off the computer 3 times in succession, and windows 10 should boot to the recovery mode (though it may run startup repair before doing so).

In recovery (big blue screen) choose Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt.

Use this command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} truncatememory

then restart.

Could instead boot to safemode, and undo the change with msconfig

Atm321

I did that but it says “The specified entry identifier is not valid” , “The parameter is incorrect”

You typed it exactly?

Try this:

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} truncatememory

If you get the same error, try fixing it in safe mode:

From recovery: Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings
Click Restart. After the restart, press 4 or F4 for Safe Mode when it asks.
Run msconfig and undo the changes you made.

Still not working. Go back to command prompt. Type:

bcdedit

Post a screenshot of the output
-or-
Look for a truncatememory line in a Windows Boot Loader section (there may be more than one such section depending if you have a multi-boot setup or not). Need to determine the identifier in that Windows Boot Loader section that contains the truncatememory line. Use that identifier in this command:

bcdedit /deletevalue <IDENTIFIER> truncatememory

Atm321

I try but it gives me the same error, also tried safe mode but it wont work5FD2B5CB-1D39-461A-98D9-B42BAE350265.jpeg

The {default} boot loader in your screenshot looks okay to me. The truncatememory line is not there, so you will get that error when trying to delete it.

Can you verify the change you made in msconfig was under Boot tab -> Advanced Options, checking maximum memory and setting a number on this screen:

in the bcdedit output screenshot, if you scroll back up a bit, under Windows Boot Manager, what is the value for default? Is it {default}?

Can also try this:

bcdedit /enum all

Will output quite a bit of info. Look for a truncatememory line anywhere. If found, which section/identifier?

Does the stop code "Memory Management" happen on every boot, or sometime after Windows boots?

Atm321

Yeah, I checked the box and set the number to 8132, then unchecked the box and clicked ok, after that i clicked "apply" and restarted, then the blue screen appeared, the value for default is {default}, I do not see truncatememory anywhere, when I boot/restart windows it says "system_thread_exception_not_handled",when i try to go into safe mode it says "memory_mangement"

If you unchecked the maximum memory setting before clicking okay, then you didn't actually change anything. It has to be checked for the number to matter. If it is not checked, Windows will use the amount of memory installed minus whatever the BIOS may reserve (ie for integrated GPUs). If it is checked, Windows won't use anything above that number (in MBs).

Anyway, that kinda leaves me at a loss as to what was changed exactly.

You could try rebuilding the BCD, but I'm not sure if that will help because I don't know that the problem is in the BCD. There is also System Restore or a System Reset. Both might be worth trying, but a clean install of windows may be the fastest (or only) way to fix this. There is a sticky at the top of this subforum on how to do a clean install.
Do you have backups of your data?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and model name and exact model number and exact serial number of your PC?
What is the exact Windows version it came with?

------------------------------------------------

Atm321

It's an hp Pavillion, Model 15-cw1010la, the serial number is 5CD0442G64, it came with windows 10.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
so I maxed my RAM in msconfig but now it wont boot, i thought it would make my pc faster
It's an hp Pavillion, Model 15-cw1010la, the serial number is 5CD0442G64, it came with windows 10.
You have THIS HP Pavilion 15-cw1011la Notebook PC which was purchased on April 17, 2021.

THIS is the support page on how to do a system recovery.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.