1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I didn't do anything and it's broken :(

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by elisejk, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elisejk

elisejk Thread Starter

Booted up my laptop 2 nights ago and was greeted with Windows Defender failed to initialize ox800106ba.

Than multiple errors c:\program data\error 1317 and internal error 2230. 1392. It says run chkdsk.

My Logitech cam keeps trying to install but it's already installed. I tried to remove it (via the control panel remove programs) but it won't uninstall.

Under accessories > system tools > my restore icon and most of the others is gone.

I've booted up in safe mode - tried running chkdsk but it won't run. I have selected the option to run on reboot but it doesn't run then either.

Of course I don't have a recovery disk. I'm normally not that dumb but obviously I am.

This laptop was purchased in April '07. Running Vista Home Premium, Acer Aspire model 9410 1014 mb 160 ghz 32 bit.

Any suggestions out there on what to do?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like the hard drive or the memory.

There seems to be an epidemic of bad drives on Acer's lately. Is it still under warranty?

There is the possibility of recovering data by connecting the drive to a desktop with an adapter.

Is the Logitech cam new? Is this the built-in OrbiCam or a different one? Has it been working OK up to this time?

3. elisejk

elisejk Thread Starter

So do you have a suggestion on what I should do? My thought is if I back it up now, I'll just be backing up broken stuff. Is there a way to restore without a recovery disk?

4. elisejk

elisejk Thread Starter

Sorry I responded before you finished your post.

Yes, it's still under warranty. The data on this laptop isn't anything I can't recover. The cam is fairly new. I was prompted last week to update the software which I did and yes it was working.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't believe you have anything to restore to. If the hard drive is bad, the machine won't be able to do anything. If under warranty, return it for service. Sorry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice