1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I don't know what to buy...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaimep, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I posted for the first time yesterday about a brand new gateway 505GR, and promptly returned the CPU to Best Buy. I would love some advice on what CPU, which company, Item #, addons, all that stuff...I really don't know what to buy! I use the Cpu for internet, word processing, music downloading and CD burning, and "light" gaming, no crazy stuff (no time). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. tajaemax

tajaemax

CPU is just the processor (like Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64) I'm assuming that you mean the whole computer.
    In that case a budget would be nice.

3. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

See, I told you I was illiterate! Well, you learn something new everyday, I guess. As for budget, I mean, I like a good deal like anyone else, but I want this computer to last for at least 4 years, and I can see spending up to $1500, with a service plan of some sort included. Thanks for the reply, hope this helps!

4. zupadupa

zupadupa

Depending on where you are you can either build yourself a computer from components at a local computer place or else you buy a prebuilt system from Dell or some other large company that has prebuilt computers. What are going to be your main uses for this computer?

5. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

I am in Richmond, VA. I would have no idea how to custom build, and I use the Cpu for internet, word processing, music downloading and CD burning, and "light" gaming, no crazy stuff (no time). I also want easy reliable support from the company.

6. zupadupa

zupadupa

Dell is a good company. They have a excellent reputation for techincal support. Their systems are really good too. I have heard many great things about them.

7. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

8. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

Yeah, my problem with Gateway is that I just bought one from Best Buy, and the customer service was bad after only 3 days from both Gateway and Best Buy. I have heard great things about Dell, and now, someone is pushing me to buy the best model of an e-machine. And my buddy is a die hard Mac user, so he wants me to get the mini mac.

9. rhorne4

rhorne4

If You Want A Prebuilt Computer,check Your Local Best Buy,circuit City,staples All Of What Should Be In And Around Your Area In Va.you Can Get A Really Good Deal Now On Good Prebuilt Systems Under $1000.00 With At Least One Year Of Tech Support Or Up To 3 Years Tech Support If You Want To Spent Another Couple Hundred Dollars,but Custom Building Is The Way To Go So You Can Get Just What You Want.

10. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

I guess my next question is this...for an illiterate like me, how do I even go about custom building?

11. zupadupa

zupadupa

Go into a store where they sell parts and ask them for the help and advice. Tell them what you need the computer to do, that you need warranty and good technical support. I am sure they will give a hand with that. Make sure you go to a store that has a good reputation.

12. zupadupa

zupadupa

ask your friends about a reputable store.

13. rhorne4

rhorne4

Go On The Internet And Research It.you Can Find Many How To Build A Computer Articals On The Net.you Can Buy Books That Guide You Step By Step.i Just Built My First Pc About A Month Ago And Would Never Think About Buying Another Off The Shelf Pc.i Researched How To Do It For 6 Months And Then Another 3 Months I Researched Parts And With The Help Of All The Fine And Knowledgeable People In This Forum,i Have A Pc That I Am Proud Of,and I Did It Myself,just Like I Wanted It.

14. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

want to build your own. just called my local best buy. they have a 'geek squad' that will walk me through the process. built to my specifications.

you may want to see if the best buy in your area has their own 'geek squad'.

just a thought.

you may also want to check.

http://www.newegg.com/

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

15. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

DO NOT get an Emachines.
    DONT!
    lol trust me on that one.
    Dont get HP, Emachines, compact am i missing anything else?

If you want a pre built one get Dell.
    Do not get talked into somting you dont need. You will spend too much money.

Your best bet is probley a bundle pak. (monitor, and printer)
    Dont buy from best buy. They shove unnecessary stuff in your face. Like a back up battery? I had some guy literly tell my friend she NEEEEDS it for her computer to work.
    Buy the computer/printer/monitor bundle nothing else.

Dont buy the ink because the printer comes with ink ( you can buy refill inks later, its usually cheaper other places anyways)
    Dont buy the battery back up (just buy a good power surge)
    If you see the word (celeron) dont buy it, its a lower end CPU (central processing unit)
    PC=personal computer i think you got your words mixed up on top.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop2_2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_desktop2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Either is good. But i recommend one of those.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice