1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i dont know why she did this but i need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nanaki2007, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nanaki2007

Nanaki2007 Thread Starter

my mom got a new western digital hard drive for her old computer before she realized that pretty much the whole computer got fried in the thunderstorm, not just the hard drive -.- anyway when she got her new computer, she didnt want anyone to open it up to install the new hard drive as it would void the warranty and she didnt want to pay proffesional dell people to put it in, so she threw away all the stuf fthat came with it except the hard drive. it hasnt even been plugged in or anything so i asked if i could have it to put in my computer. now i thought she would have the papers and it would be fairly simple-plug these cables in here, go into BIOS or something and flip a few switches boom you have more storage-well as i said, it didnt have anything of the sort. just the hard drive and the little plastic bag it came in.

ANYWAY to my question-could anyone give me a quick little guide on the basics of installing this hard drive? all my things are already on a 60GB including windows, games, media, documents, and im just gonna be using this new one for stuff like movies, games, etc that take up alot more, just to keep my stuff organized a bit more. someone please help me?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have the physical room in your case for the new drive, it should be as simple as mounting the drive, setting the jumpers on the hard drives appropriately (Master and Slave) Connecting the IDE cable and the power cable. set the bios to detect the drive. Then partitioning and formatting the drive. A few specs aboutyour computer would help us help you further if needed.

3. Nanaki2007

alright well heres a list of things i need help on-partitioning and formatting the drive, and waht specs anyone would need? it has enough room in case i dont need to worry about that

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What OS are you using including SP number? If you are using XP SP2 you can go into Administrative tools | Computer Management | Disk Management Initialize the new disk and it will walk you through the partition/format process. Simple as that. You will have to decide whether to use Fat32 or NTFS file system. But on a disk that size you should be using NTFS anyway.

5. Nanaki2007

XP Home SP2 and the new one i got from my mom was an 80GB-larger than my old one-still use NTFS? i really dont know what they are but im guessing i wont need to know-i just pick whatever one i need.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes still use NTFS...for XP FAT32 makes no sense anyway.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice