1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I dunno if Vista is the problem. Lost. Help.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oneSorcerer, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

Few days ago I woke up and my mouse wouldn't work. Kept saying "failed to install device, INF might be pre windows 95" or something like that I tried a few things and finally after a couple installations of Intellipoint I got it to work again. I had a new mouse ordered that came in the mail today. Plugged it in, doesn't work. Old one gives me the INF message again after it tries to to autoinstall. And no matter how many times I try to install the intellipoint drivers, there's always something down in the corner trying to autoinstall and it can't it's just so messed up.

Talked to a M$ guy, he had me in the registry deleting things which was difficult to do and read what I was deleting with only the keyboard, and now that its all over I have nothing, keyboard, nor mouse will work and I have no idea even where to begin to try and fix it. The help guy had me delete all the Root Hub's in device manager and HID devices and stuff. Now everything is s messed up I dunno what to do.

Someone please tell me what to do. I'd format but i dunno if vista will allow it without making me pay for it again or something.

=(

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Get a PS/2 mouse and kb. Then work on fixing the USB.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Go to Folder Options > View and make sure you can see "hidden files and folders". Don't worry about protected system files.

Then navigate to c:\windows\INF.

Does it look like this directory has a massive load of files?

Can you see "input.inf" there among them?

If the install asks where to find something, try pointing it manually to c:\windows\INF

Also, how about trying a System Restore to a date when the mouse worked? You can undo it if no help.
    \

4. oneSorcerer

have ps2 adapters for both. dont work.

5. oneSorcerer

Rog, I'm not sure how to d that in Vista, and def not without a mouse. where is folder options at?

ok nvm i got into it. there are tons of inf files and input.inf is present.

i've tried system restore and this is what happens:

mouse works, not sure if all 5buttons work but it definately functions. then vista goes on an auto-installing rampage and th mouse stops working shortly after.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's going to be tough without a mouse. Can you scrounge up a ps/2 or even buy one -- only a few bucks ... They are a necessary fall back when dealing with USB problems like this.

You can find Folder Options in the Control panel or through any Folder's > Tools > Folder Options menu.

Try the install again and see if you can manually direct it there.

Other than that I would try a System Restore.

7. oneSorcerer

i tried t use the ps2 adapter that came with it but it still doesn't work.

when i system restore, the mouse works until vista auto installs all the drivers and such agian, then it stops working like theres a confliction or something.

do i run the .inf like a setup file or something?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If there's any possibility of your finding and using PS/2 mouse and kb, give it a try. True PS/2 might work differently and the hardware may be faulty, too.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No but sometimes when Windows has trouble finding drivers it gives you the opportunity to manually point to a directory.

See if you can try this possible resolution, again you really need to have a working mouse to swing it:

http://www.texxors.com/2007/05/09/how-to-find-lost-windows-vista-drivers-when-adding-a-new-device/

See also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187

The reason it works up until Windows gets it is probably because it is running on USB legacy support from the BIOS.

Is the Device Manager currently showing any USB errors under the USB device tree?

Have you tried running sfc /scannow ??

10. oneSorcerer

The mouse on the downstairs pc i was using was a ps/2 mouse, but it wouldnt work on this system either. Maybe my port is bad or something. Anyways, I followed the Texxor guide via pain staking keyboard strokes (it took me a while to figure out how to right-click on the keyboard) and it is now working like a dream all 9000 fps of it and all 5 buttons.

I didnt havge another device to install like it says to do in step 11, but as soon as i reinstalled intellipoint it started working.

I cant believe it's this much trouble to install a mouse. Silly Vista.

Thanks very much for your help guys, I dunno what I'd do without you.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sounds great, yeah this one is pretty much a Vista bug.

If all is well, feel free to mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here. We always like to see those :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice