Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i dunno

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  slipkid 
#1 ·
This seems pretty easy but,this is what it does during installation.Should the spaces be removed along with the semi-colon or is this a normal config.Just seems a little odd to me..
C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\;C:\Python25;C:\progra~1\common~1\gtk\2.0\bin; ;C:\RUBY\BIN

#2 ·
What you have is a Windows rendition of $PATH which delineates the various directories that are searched to find a command to be executed.

Spaces are ok for file names and directory names on Windows systems. So, I would say leave them as is.

To demonstrate, you can put an executable with a unique name, e.g. hello, in any one of the directories - i.e. separated by the ';' character in $PATH, then position your command window to your $HOME directory, and give the command:
$ hello
where hello is the executable name of the hello world program that just prints out the words: Hello, world!

I would then move the hello executable back to your home directory.

Unless your installation triggered an error message regarding $PATH - it is nothing to worry about.

-- Tom

#3 ·
Thank you Sir for sound and insightful advice! And just for the record I never had any
errors regarding that but was thinking that something down the line might have a problem,of which of course I would like to avoid.A little sidebar here, what are the chances that has something to do with my folder icons disappearing? Just the folders and not the pretty little picture icons.Anyhow if have any thoughts on that let me know. Again thanks for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.